A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 1st 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ATC
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )

Hi , my area will be bb enabled by the end of October and I was wondering
what I should/could be doing now to be ready for this instead of waiting
around ?

ie. Which providers will offer services in this area ? What hardware will
I need ? How do I set it up ? What services will providers offer ?

A lot of questions ,I know, but I would be grateful for any advice ,
pointers or links to help me out here .

TIA
Andy



  #2  
Old September 1st 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 167
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )

A lot of questions ,I know, but I would be grateful for any advice ,
pointers or links to help me out here .


Start here

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Almost all the answers are there. Google is your friend!


  #3  
Old September 1st 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Comley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )

"ATC" wrote:

Hi , my area will be bb enabled by the end of October and I was wondering
what I should/could be doing now to be ready for this instead of waiting
around ?


You can place an order, and buy the kit.

ie. Which providers will offer services in this area ? What hardware will
I need ? How do I set it up ? What services will providers offer ?


Any provider, geography is no constraint.

You'll need a router or a modem. Some ISPs throw in a modem.

You need at least one filter, depending on the type and number of
extension sockets on your phone line

A lot of questions ,I know, but I would be grateful for any advice ,
pointers or links to help me out here .


Give us a call! :-) 01494 837515


---
Business ADSL solutions
www.wizards.co.uk
  #4  
Old September 1st 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )

Chris Comley wrote:
"ATC" wrote:

Hi , my area will be bb enabled by the end of October and I was
wondering what I should/could be doing now to be ready for this
instead of waiting around ?


You can place an order, and buy the kit.

ie. Which providers will offer services in this area ? What
hardware will I need ? How do I set it up ? What services will
providers offer ?


Any provider, geography is no constraint.

You'll need a router or a modem. Some ISPs throw in a modem.

You need at least one filter, depending on the type and number of
extension sockets on your phone line

A lot of questions ,I know, but I would be grateful for any advice
, pointers or links to help me out here .


Give us a call! :-) 01494 xxxxxx


Bit pricey, especially if you don't want/need a static IP. More than 29 a
month plus you still have to pay installation of 11.75 more than BT
Wholesale actually charge for the activation.

To the OP - look through adslguide as suggested, and a few other review
sites like ispreview.co.uk etc. to find the service that is most suitable.
What kind of service are you looking for? What do you want to do with it?
How much are you going to use it? Do you need e-mail facilities etc.?

Dominic


  #5  
Old September 1st 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,542
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )

On 1 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dominic" wrote:

Bit pricey, especially if you don't want/need a static IP.
More than 29 a month ...


But to be fair 'Business ADSL solutions' should be a warning
to a user expecting rock bottom pricing, really. Peter.
  #6  
Old September 1st 04, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RCC
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )


In message , ATC
writes
Hi , my area will be bb enabled by the end of October and I was wondering
what I should/could be doing now to be ready for this instead of waiting
around ?

ie. Which providers will offer services in this area ? What hardware will
I need ? How do I set it up ? What services will providers offer ?

A lot of questions ,I know, but I would be grateful for any advice ,
pointers or links to help me out here .

TIA
Andy



A non - technical perspective (for I am non technical and used a slide
rule before electronic calculators were invented):

Strikes me there isn't a lot you can do in advance apart from finding
out about suppliers and making your provisional choice. I went from
Demon dial up to Demon ADSL (easy transfer and so far excellent) - but
an early part of the process was a line test tha tthey carried out -
after which they sent out the modem etc and enabled the line.

You cant get a line test until your exchange is enabled, so that limits
what you can do in advance.

As I was getting a USB modem I did put a new USB PCI card in my desktop
machine in advance - I had run out of ports anyway so it was time. There
was no absolute need to though - I could have unplugged something else
and bought a new card afterwards. I had Virus/Firewall already in place,
but if you do not have a firewall then that could usefully be done in
advance as well.

I have also noticed that the deals are getting cheaper so the longer you
wait before signing up maybe the better. I was ready to sign up for
Demon then saw advertised their new 'free modem, no connection fee'
offer: waiting saved me GBP 80 ! If I was doing it today I would
probably look at the new Tesco deal .... so it goes. I think I read
somewhere that BT had been 'ordered' by off- something to reduce their
wholesale ADSL charges so that might trigger some new deals as well.

Broadband saves me paper and toner ! No longer do I print out useful
information from the web - I know its quickly available when I want it
so I use the web differently. The organisation of 'favourites' in IE
becomes more important because you store links not data.


--
Richard C
  #7  
Old September 1st 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 149
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )

poster wrote:
On 1 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dominic" wrote:

Bit pricey, especially if you don't want/need a static IP.
More than 29 a month ...


But to be fair 'Business ADSL solutions' should be a warning
to a user expecting rock bottom pricing, really. Peter.


Agreed, but it was the "give us a call" bit and phone number that sounded
like an advert. No objection to commercial signatures.

Dom


  #8  
Old September 1st 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ATC
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )

Dominic wrote:
Chris Comley wrote:
"ATC" wrote:

Hi , my area will be bb enabled by the end of October and I was
wondering what I should/could be doing now to be ready for this
instead of waiting around ?


You can place an order, and buy the kit.

ie. Which providers will offer services in this area ? What
hardware will I need ? How do I set it up ? What services will
providers offer ?


Any provider, geography is no constraint.

You'll need a router or a modem. Some ISPs throw in a modem.

You need at least one filter, depending on the type and number of
extension sockets on your phone line

A lot of questions ,I know, but I would be grateful for any advice
, pointers or links to help me out here .


Give us a call! :-) 01494 xxxxxx


Bit pricey, especially if you don't want/need a static IP. More than
29 a month plus you still have to pay installation of 11.75 more
than BT Wholesale actually charge for the activation.

To the OP - look through adslguide as suggested, and a few other
review sites like ispreview.co.uk etc. to find the service that is
most suitable. What kind of service are you looking for? What do you
want to do with it? How much are you going to use it? Do you need
e-mail facilities etc.?

Dominic


E-mail facilities would be good . I intend mostly to use this for gaming
and d/l but having no idea what amount I could/would download in a month
I'm not sure about taking a restricted package .
Modems / Routers : I probably want to share this connection between 2
( networked ) pc's so I need a router ?

Thanks for the advice so far all , the process is becoming clearer. I
was considering a 1Mb line from here http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/paygo
paygo1000 as the s service is doubtfull on first investigation.


  #9  
Old September 1st 04, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,542
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )

On 1 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "ATC" wrote:

E-mail facilities would be good.


get yourself a free mail account from Yahoo.co.uk which will allow you
to use their SMTP/POP service. If you don't like using them, get some
domain of your own and use the hosting service for tx/rx (forwarding a
message from hosting services is not something I'd recommend, since it
depends on both sending and recipient servers not having queues for an
item of mail to arrive promptly - 'finger pointing' about which end is
all too common if there are delays!)

having no idea what amount I could/would download in a month I'm not
sure about taking a restricted package.


Understood, but some services offer the option to upgrade your quota
as soon as you decide you will be using more than originally planned.

Modems / Routers : I probably want to share this connection between
2 ( networked ) pc's so I need a router ?


Makes life much easier even using just one PC. I'd still recommend
a software firewall (to catch any attempts to connect *out* as well
as protecting against things coming in, though a router in NAT mode
will likely block most traffic, even one without its own 'firewall'
which some more expensive models include)

"as the s service is doubtfull on first investigation."


Sorry, you've lost me as to what the ' s service ' is ! As for
MetroNet they don't include e-mail but their upper cost cap makes
for a good prices considering they charge from 16.75 to 28.75. No
reason to use their fixed price accounts at all, IMO. Peter M.

  #10  
Old September 2nd 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 84
Default Broadband enabled soon ( hopefully )


"ATC" wrote in message
...
Dominic wrote:
Chris Comley wrote:
"ATC" wrote:

Hi , my area will be bb enabled by the end of October and I was
wondering what I should/could be doing now to be ready for this
instead of waiting around ?

You can place an order, and buy the kit.

ie. Which providers will offer services in this area ? What
hardware will I need ? How do I set it up ? What services will
providers offer ?

Any provider, geography is no constraint.

You'll need a router or a modem. Some ISPs throw in a modem.

You need at least one filter, depending on the type and number of
extension sockets on your phone line

A lot of questions ,I know, but I would be grateful for any advice
, pointers or links to help me out here .

Give us a call! :-) 01494 xxxxxx


Bit pricey, especially if you don't want/need a static IP. More than
29 a month plus you still have to pay installation of 11.75 more
than BT Wholesale actually charge for the activation.

To the OP - look through adslguide as suggested, and a few other
review sites like ispreview.co.uk etc. to find the service that is
most suitable. What kind of service are you looking for? What do you
want to do with it? How much are you going to use it? Do you need
e-mail facilities etc.?

Dominic


E-mail facilities would be good . I intend mostly to use this for gaming
and d/l but having no idea what amount I could/would download in a month
I'm not sure about taking a restricted package .
Modems / Routers : I probably want to share this connection between 2
( networked ) pc's so I need a router ?


You'd probably be better buying your own router and then you can choose
whatever ISP deal you want.

The new Tesco broadband seems to be a particularly good deal at the moment.

Half Mb uncapped access with e-mail etc for 19.99 a month.


Stephen


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I test if ADSL has been enabled yet? Peter X uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 July 12th 04 04:17 AM
Line enabled but can't connect Ballistic uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 April 9th 04 09:08 PM
Long Sutton - getting BB enabled Biscuit uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 7 November 9th 03 01:01 PM
getting broadband enabled soon.. question Shed uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 September 16th 03 08:19 PM
Error 799 Internet sharing cannot be enabled amstereofan uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 September 13th 03 03:19 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.