Telewest Blueyonder

Old September 1st 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UKT

Default Telewest Blueyonder

I am moving house on Friday and have cancelled my Pipex 512 subscription.
Was getting fed up with their binary newsgroup performance in any event and
was considering moving to Plusnet.

However, the house I am moving to is sereviced by Telewest and when looking
at a basic TV package, telephone and broadband (750KB rather than 512KB), I
find it would cost me roughly 6 per month more than I am paying now for BT
phone and Pipex.

Can anyone give any experiences of Blueyonder in terms of sustained speed,
reliability and binary news performance?

TIA

Ian

Old September 1st 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
UKT opined:
I am moving house on Friday and have cancelled my Pipex 512
subscription. Was getting fed up with their binary newsgroup
performance in any event and was considering moving to Plusnet.

However, the house I am moving to is sereviced by Telewest and when
looking at a basic TV package, telephone and broadband (750KB rather
than 512KB), I find it would cost me roughly 6 per month more than I
am paying now for BT phone and Pipex.

Can anyone give any experiences of Blueyonder in terms of sustained
speed, reliability and binary news performance?

TIA

Ian

Binaries are a bit duff at the mo
Speed is 768k down 128k up
for an extra 10 pm 1.5m down 256k up
reliable as any
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old September 1st 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveL

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:02:53 +0100, "UKT"
wrote:

I am moving house on Friday and have cancelled my Pipex 512 subscription.
Was getting fed up with their binary newsgroup performance in any event and
was considering moving to Plusnet.

If you're really worried about binary newsgroup performance join a
premium usenet provider like GigaNews, EasyNews, UsenetServer etc.

They are the only place you'll get good performance, retention and
completeness anymore.

Even the best ISP provided Usenet just cannot compete anymore. e.g.
retenetion = 2 to three days, but for GigaNews it's up over a month,
and they've recently opened a European server at no extra charge.

Old September 1st 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deag

UKT wrote:
I am moving house on Friday and have cancelled my Pipex 512
subscription. Was getting fed up with their binary newsgroup
performance in any event and was considering moving to Plusnet.

However, the house I am moving to is sereviced by Telewest and when
looking at a basic TV package, telephone and broadband (750KB rather
than 512KB), I find it would cost me roughly 6 per month more than I
am paying now for BT phone and Pipex.

Can anyone give any experiences of Blueyonder in terms of sustained
speed, reliability and binary news performance?

Do not forget that with Telewest you are paying for a TV service as well.

What you can do is get the phone from Telewest and the subscribe to Onetel
http://www.onetel.co.uk/callback/ who will give you a dialler box to use,
that way you do not need to pay Telewest's rip off rates/connection charges.
Note that Telewest charge a peak rate all day on bank holidays and that
every call has a 6p connection fee. A 10 minute evening local call on
Telewest can cost 26p vs 10p on BT. They will say you can avoid these by
signing up for an unlimited package but these will cost more than Onetel's.

The broadband service is excellent though and I switched to it from Pipex
and it is a huge improvement. Pipex used to go down on me on just as
customer support closed. Telewest support is 24 hours.

I think the perfect solution is Telewest with a Onetel service.

Deag

Old September 2nd 04, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , SteveL
writes
Even the best ISP provided Usenet just cannot compete anymore. e.g.
retenetion = 2 to three days, but for GigaNews it's up over a month,
and they've recently opened a European server at no extra charge.

You get Giganews with Nildram.
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.