Broadband router with ISDN fallback (that actually works) ?

Old September 1st 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sarah

Default Broadband router with ISDN fallback (that actually works) ?

Peter wrote:

The www session just hangs and never recovers. However starting
another copy of IE6 works fine, so it doesn't look like an ISDN
lockup. Also another PC connected to the router works fine (although
that itself will also lock up in the same way eventually). The problem
is same whether the PCs are connected over wifi or ethernet.

So it looks like an internal bug in the router.

The tech support man is out of ideas and suggested I get another one,
which I am doing. However, I have designed at least a hundred embedded
products (software and hardware) over 25 years and can't see what this
could be other than a firmware bug.

How about you didnt set it up correctly. Did you rtfm? Or try a
different browser like opera or firefox? What about different protocols
like ftp or nntp? Does a pc to pc transfer work ok? Have you disabled
the firewall? Are you using nat?
Old September 1st 04, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 01 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Peter wrote:

The ISP is Clara,

For what its worth, my Hypertec router never worked with Clara,
nor did a friend who also bought one (new units, from Hypertec,
via Ebay). An ISDN PCI card worked fine though. Peter Morgan.
Old September 1st 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sarah

Peter wrote:

Please kindly read what I said... "The tech support man is out of
ideas and suggested I get another one". I have spoken to him 10-20
times. He is pretty good, but suggested I return it for a replacement.

It happens on different laptops, with different applications.
Basically, once the amount of data reaches a certain point, it stops
flowing. But other sessions on the same PC, even using the same app,
work fine even though the original session is frozen.

NAT is used, certainly, not a lot of point of a NAT router with NAT
disabled.

I have not been able to get one PC to see another - that is a separate
matter to do with networking which I haven't gone into yet. I could
try connecting both PCs using ethernet - that should work fine because
they see each other via a hub or a switch, and the ethernet ports on
the back of a 2900 are a switch.

For a moment there, I thought the whole problem was a networking
problem, but you seem to think thats a seperate matter. I agree with the
tech support man, get another one, that'll fix it. It amazes me that
after 25 years you know nothing about troubleshooting.
Old September 2nd 04, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 02 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Peter wrote:

The ISDN interface is nothing to do with the ISP

But the interaction from end to end certainly is. As has already been
mentioned, compression is a possible problem, and some ISPs might send
a ping to check your end is live and not just a stale connection.

this must be true for both ISDN and ADSL.

hmmm... I would hesitate to make sweeping comments like that.

Draytek forum at seg.co.uk, the router also has an undocumented
command line interface where additional config can be done.

well, it must be worth exploring... so good luck! Peter M.
Old September 2nd 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Just my oar in...

I used to manage a lot of Draytek 2000 ISDN routers on various sites and
they were rock solid - makes you think Draytek *should* know how to
'make it work' properly. If it is firmware it could well be the result
of 'feature bloat' - ie: tinkering to add more features.

UK2NET offers non-contract dial-up for ISDN (access number 0845 665
3000. username: UK2 password: UK2) if you need an ad-hoc resource for
testing.

Hope you get it sorted - that kind of problem is a reall pain in the ass
- you have my empathy!

L3K