speedtouch 530

Old September 2nd 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default speedtouch 530

Going to be ordering BTYahoo for games consoles and get the speedtouch 530
router for 20.
I do have a frog modem but that requires ICS as one PC as windows 98 first
edition I cannot use ICS.

I just wanted to confirm that using the 530 requires no use of ICS and will work
on a win98 first edition machine? Is the sharing setup solely on the router or
do the settings have to be on one machine?
Sorry if they seem silly questions, but I have a chance to install win98 second
edition, but I need to know sooner rather than later. I would rather not have
to do a reinstall at the moment but will if I have to.

Old September 2nd 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I just wanted to confirm that using the 530 requires no use of ICS and will work
on a win98 first edition machine? Is the sharing setup solely on the router or
do the settings have to be on one machine?

I don`t know anything about the speedtouch 530, but if you connect to it
via network cables rather than USB you`ll be fine :-) (as long as you
have drivers for your network cards !)

Old September 2nd 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Beck" wrote in message
Going to be ordering BTYahoo for games consoles and get the speedtouch 530
router for 20.
I do have a frog modem but that requires ICS as one PC as windows 98 first
edition I cannot use ICS.

I just wanted to confirm that using the 530 requires no use of ICS

That depends on what you want to do with it.

Bear in mind that the SpeedTouch 530 only has one ethernet and one USB
connection.

You could connect one PC via USB and one via ethernet but If you want to
connect multiple machines via ethernet you'd be better going for a router
with multiple ethernet ports.

The SpeedTouch 510switch is the 530 in another form (same mainboard same
firmware etc) but with 4 ethernet ports instead of one.

http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/home510s...?menuCurrPos=2.

As far as I am aware BTYahoo don't offer this as an option but I suppose
there's no harm in asking.

Stephen

Old September 2nd 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

You can download & browse the ST 530 user guide from here.
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/530.asp

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old September 2nd 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
[...]

I could ask them, but I suspect the offer is for the 530 only.
I am really stumped on what to do to be honest. I have a perfectly usable usb
frog modem here which I had from before. But that means I cannot use ICS due to
the windows first edition. I suppose I could save the 20, use the free modem
that I get and get some kind of sharing software like Sygate Home Network or
similar.
Or I could take back my hub from my friend and attached it to the 530 router to
create extra ports?

Old September 2nd 04, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"john" wrote in message
. ..
You can download & browse the ST 530 user guide from here.
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/530.asp

I read that the other day, but it really didnt make sense. I have never
stretched further than ICS before, so this is all new to me.

Old September 2nd 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 2 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Stephen Stewart" wrote:

If you want to connect multiple machines via ethernet you'd be better
going for a router with multiple ethernet ports.

Fine if one was buying the hardware and the difference would be 5-10
quid, but a 4 or more port hub would be quite adequate to share ADSL
to a second or more PCs, and even a 10 Mbps hub would do :-) Peter

Old September 2nd 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Beck" wrote in message
[...]

Yep you could connect it to a hub and that would also do the trick.

You would end up having the benefits of a hardware firewall and ethernet
connectivity.

Stephen

Old September 2nd 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"poster" wrote in message
On 2 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Stephen Stewart" wrote:

If you want to connect multiple machines via ethernet you'd be better
going for a router with multiple ethernet ports.

Fine if one was buying the hardware and the difference would be 5-10
quid, but a 4 or more port hub would be quite adequate to share ADSL
to a second or more PCs, and even a 10 Mbps hub would do :-) Peter

I'm not sure what you mean by that, the SpeedTouch 530 only has one ethernet
port.

It was a 4 port combined modem/router that I was suggesting as an
alternative to the 530 and these are pretty cheap these days.

Stephen

Old September 3rd 04, 06:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Or I could take back my hub from my friend and attached it to the 530 router to
create extra ports?

Yes, as the other guy said, do that or even better buy a cheap 4/8 port
switch.

Dave