Clarification on Australian Cable

Old September 2nd 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Winston [ausWY]

Default Clarification on Australian Cable

Around a month back there was a thread here disputing the speed of Broadband
in Australia.
(see:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...s.greennet.net)
The 10000/128kbps figure quoted is correct, however it was referred to as
'Cable DSL', it isn't DSL, it is HFC Cable (as in American style 'Cable
Internet'). The fastest consumer ADSL speed in Australia I know of is
1.5mbps downstream. In regard to speed shaping, currently, the speed shaping
(on Bigpond/Telstra/Foxtel whatever you wanna call it) occurs on Mondays so
if you start downloading on Tuesday, then you'll have a whole week of
downloading at 10mbps, thus, I generally leave downloading to the last week.
Below are some screenshots to prove that the connection is indeed 10mbps and
shows that usage above 10GB/month is easily possible. Also, I hear that
Telstra ADSL doesn't receive speed shaping at all, not sure about the
validity of this though since I personally have cable. I have downloaded in
excess of 10GBs every month since I was connected to Telstra (Bigpond) Cable
and have not been capped. On the other hand Optus speed caps to 28kbps
almost immediately after exceeding 12GBs. I pay $59.95AU per month, however
you receive a discount and 125 free local calls if you have more than 2
services with Telstra.

http://img4.exs.cx/img4/6136/speed_can1.png
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wyp/fast.PNG
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wyp/fast2.PNG