Free SMTP providers...

Old September 2nd 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

Default Free SMTP providers...

Can anyone suggest a free supplier of SMTP service for broadband users,
please..?

I am regulary finding now that customers of mine are signed up to a BT
broadband service that provides no email facilities. For most of them
BT's advice of "go & get yerself a hotmail account, mate" is adequate,
however I have recently encoutered a customer who recieves his work
email on his laptop via POP3 to a regular mail-client & who wishes to
reply to these emails in the regular way.

This seems like a reasonable request to the customer, who was
previously able to send SMTP email when he was on Tiscali's dial-up
service, and whilst I feel it's expletive poor of BT not to provide
their customers with email services, I'd find it difficult to say to
him "you can't do it, go away & change your ISP". Unfortunately
whoever supplies the POP3 services for this guy's office doesn't seem
to offer him an authenticated SMTP service.

A quick Google turns up this sit
http://freemailguide.com/free_pop3_email.html which mentions a couple
of providers who do free web / POP3 email & who allow you to use their
SMTP servers if you're registered. They are http://www.mail.ru/ &
http://www.mail15.com/, whose sites are in Russian only and
http://www.nerdshack.com/ who are not accepting new accouts at
present.

The only service that immediately seems suitable is
http://www.hotpop.com/ - you open a free POP3 account & they give you
SMTP access, but they require painfully copious amounts of demographic
information during signup, which they admit to selling for marketing
purposes, and they require you to check the POP3 account before you can
authenticate for SMTP. I can see their reasoning - they have servers &
stuff to pay for - but does anyone know of any better services..?

Thanks in advance for all advices,

Stroller.

Old September 2nd 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Stroller" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest a free supplier of SMTP service for broadband users,
please..?

I am regulary finding now that customers of mine are signed up to a BT
broadband service that provides no email facilities. For most of them
BT's advice of "go & get yerself a hotmail account, mate" is adequate,
however I have recently encoutered a customer who recieves his work
email on his laptop via POP3 to a regular mail-client & who wishes to
reply to these emails in the regular way.

BT Broadband Basic, use mail.btopenworld.com or mail.btinternet.com

and you can still use your pop accounts as you normal do...

Old September 2nd 04, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Stroller on 02/Sep/2004 22:44:

[...]

Don't know about free but for 20-30 per year you can have a fully hosted site
including SMTP/POP3/IMAP from UK Web Solutions Direct. I run all my email from
there including addresses for extended family over two domains (both point to
the same host). Works well.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Old September 3rd 04, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Stroller" wrote in message
[...]

I am pretty sure that Yahoo offer pop3 access. You don't get it automatically,
but have to set it up in the mail settings once the account is opened. Also,
Hotmail can be setup in some email clients to send and receive hotmail.

Old September 3rd 04, 02:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Mutley wrote:

"Stroller" wrote in message

Can anyone suggest a free supplier of SMTP service for broadband users,
please..?

I am regulary finding now that customers of mine are signed up to a BT
broadband service that provides no email facilities. For most of them
BT's advice of "go & get yerself a hotmail account, mate" is adequate,
however I have recently encoutered a customer who recieves his work
email on his laptop via POP3 to a regular mail-client & who wishes to
reply to these emails in the regular way.

BT Broadband Basic, use mail.btopenworld.com or mail.btinternet.com

and you can still use your pop accounts as you normal do...

Not anymore you cant. the BT servers are now hosted by yahoo and require
authentication. - If you have a btyahoo non "BASIC MAIL" account you can
use them too.
Old September 3rd 04, 06:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MA

Stroller wrote:
Can anyone suggest a free supplier of SMTP service for broadband
users, please..?

Not free, but I'd recommend Claranet mail & news for 9.99pa

http://www.uk.clara.net/btbroadband/

Old September 3rd 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Comley

We don't offer a *free* account, but for a business class customer 25
a year shouldbn't be too much for

up to five pop boxes
a/v scanning
anti-spam
web
imap
pop
auth SMPT
SecurePOP
SecureSMTP

should it?

Stroller wrote:

[...]

---
Wizards Ltd www.wizards.co.uk
UK supplier of Sonicwall, Watchguard, Zywall.
Old September 3rd 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Networkguy

Can anyone suggest a free supplier of SMTP service for broadband users,
please..?

Not what you were asking for but will do what you want

www.postcastserver.com

Old September 3rd 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cummins

In article ,
(Martyn Dewar) wrote:

Not anymore you cant. the BT servers are now hosted by yahoo and
require authentication.

Funny, I can...

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:19 +0100 (BST)
From: (Paul Cummins)
Subject: deleted
To: deleted
CC:

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

https://www.flextel.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/s...h?page=A119302

Old September 3rd 04, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Naismith

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:50:04 +0100, "Networkguy"
[email protected]##nospamplease##networkguy . co . uk wrote:

Can anyone suggest a free supplier of SMTP service for broadband users,
please..?

Not what you were asking for but will do what you want

www.postcastserver.com

No it won't as anyone* running a mailserver has dynamically assigned
IP address ranges blocked as that's where ~80% of spam is relayed
from.

Therefore running a mailserver on the ISPs mentioned in this thread is
unlikely to be a satisfactory solution. YMMV of course.

I doubt very much whether anyone is likely to provide a free smarthost
either as it'd get abused in seconds.......

*anyone with half a brain that is ;-)
--
John Naismith