Pop-ups

Old September 3rd 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tp

Default Pop-ups

Can't see this covered recently, and am wondering if anyone here can help,
also if I'm in the right place to ask!
But,

Only last week I became connected to Broadband (via Wannadoo) and have now
started to receive very unwanted pop-ups.
If you can imagine, they are sometimes the ones you wouldn't want your
children to see!
They are also often the same ones each time.

Anyone now how I can stop these pop-ups?
I am sure I started to have them on Dial-up but managed to get rid of them,
but I can't remember how.
It just seems a coincidence that they have come back after switching to
Broadband.
Is there something I need to 'teak' on my computer?

I have a button on my Google bar that allegedly stops pop-ups, but obviously
they are getting pass that

All help appreciated.
Regards
tp

Old September 3rd 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

tp wrote:

[...]

The built in pop-up blocker in Windows XP Service Pack 2 is probably the
best one I've ever tried. If you've got XP then I'd recommend upgrading.
Old September 3rd 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Hi Eric

I've not installed it yet as it's a big download and I don't have BB until
after the 6th of September (hopefully yipee) but Service pack 2 allegidly
has a popup blocker which is supposedly quite effective (but we are talking
Microsoft here).

Give it a whirl and report back.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Yahoo also has a pop-up blocker on it's toolbar which I've heard is quite
good. I don't think you'll ever stop them all.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Dave" @. wrote in message
Yahoo also has a pop-up blocker on it's toolbar which I've heard is quite
good. I don't think you'll ever stop them all.

So do MSN...

Old September 3rd 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Dave" @. wrote in message

[ re XP SP2 ]

I've not installed it yet as it's a big download and I don't have BB until
after the 6th of September (hopefully yipee) but Service pack 2 allegidly
has a popup blocker which is supposedly quite effective (but we are

talking
Microsoft here).

AIUI it's on the latest PC Plus 'cover disk'.

Old September 3rd 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:40:13 +0100, "Dave" @. wrote:

[...]

I sit behind a Draytek unit and so have a some protection there. I
have two PCs on the internal LAN both running Xp PRO but one now has
SP2. Both machines have the inbuilt firewall turned on and both use
the Google toolbar.

The pop ups that come to you that are sexually explicit, would tend to
indicate that at some time a user on the PC has actively sought out
such images which will often lead you to pages that invite you to
become a "member" . The front door of these sites generally dump onto
your PC cookies and Adware that seem to be able to circumvent any
amount of "protection" that you have on your PC.to deliver pop ups
that out of preference you would wish not to appear at random times.

I have to say from the limited amount of time I have been using SP2,
it does seem to be very effective in screening out this kind of
material, but in many ways you must consider spring cleaning your
machine. I would suggest a one off action of deleting all cookies and
temporary internet files and then running Adaware.

Many add on toolbars are also very suspect, and these should be
removed, although in some cases this is quite impossible, so decling
them in the first place is the best course of action.

There is also the cleanup program CWShredder
[http://forums.spywareinfo.com/] which seems to reach parts that other
Adaware programs dont't reach although I have never managed to
download any further updates beyond V1.59.1.

These are just a few random thoughts that might help with OPs problem
but I am no exoert on this matter.

David Bradley

Old September 3rd 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

tp wrote:
Can't see this covered recently, and am wondering if anyone here can help,
also if I'm in the right place to ask!
But,

Only last week I became connected to Broadband (via Wannadoo) and have now
started to receive very unwanted pop-ups.
If you can imagine, they are sometimes the ones you wouldn't want your
children to see!
They are also often the same ones each time.

Anyone now how I can stop these pop-ups?

change to Firefox maybe?
Old September 3rd 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

[...]

Which version of Windows?

Old September 3rd 04, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:51:33 +0000 (UTC), Martin
wrote:

tp wrote:
Can't see this covered recently, and am wondering if anyone here can help,
also if I'm in the right place to ask!
But,

Only last week I became connected to Broadband (via Wannadoo) and have now
started to receive very unwanted pop-ups.
If you can imagine, they are sometimes the ones you wouldn't want your
children to see!
They are also often the same ones each time.

Anyone now how I can stop these pop-ups?

change to Firefox maybe?

Making suggestions that are not tried and tested are not very helpful.
Firefox is indeed an excellent browser but for most end users will
present an unwelcomed reduction in the number of facilities found in
IE6 running under Xp SP2.

Or am I wrong in thinking that your suggestion does indeed provide a
solution to the OP? I for one, however, remains of the opinion that
Xp SP2 is as good as it can get providing you do not deliberately
introduce software that is bad news.

David Bradley

..