Firewall, which one?

Old September 4th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
noman

Default Firewall, which one?

Just connected with Pipex and got the Service Pack 2 update with it's new
firewall which is currently switched off.

I run Zonealarm (free) but Windows XP advises only to run one. Which one
though?

I now receive e-mails with no pictures, what's doing this?

Noman

Old September 4th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GwG

"noman" wrote in message
Just connected with Pipex and got the Service Pack 2 update with it's new
firewall which is currently switched off.

I run Zonealarm (free) but Windows XP advises only to run one. Which one
though?

I now receive e-mails with no pictures, what's doing this?

Safety feature in Outlook Express, to enable images:-
Tools - Options - Security - Download Images - untick box.

Old September 4th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
noman

"GwG" wrote in message ...

"noman" wrote in message
Just connected with Pipex and got the Service Pack 2 update with it's new
firewall which is currently switched off.

I run Zonealarm (free) but Windows XP advises only to run one. Which one
though?

I now receive e-mails with no pictures, what's doing this?

Safety feature in Outlook Express, to enable images:-
Tools - Options - Security - Download Images - untick box.

Thanks for that SP2 must have changed the settings.

Nomam

Old September 4th 04, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kev

"noman" wrote in message
Just connected with Pipex and got the Service Pack 2 update with it's new
firewall which is currently switched off.

I run Zonealarm (free) but Windows XP advises only to run one. Which one
though?

I now receive e-mails with no pictures, what's doing this?

Beware though that spammers can use image downloads to validate your e-mail
address and then sell it on again as 100% valid !

Noman

Old September 5th 04, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stoned Monkey

Kev wrote:
"noman" wrote in message
Just connected with Pipex and got the Service Pack 2 update with
it's new firewall which is currently switched off.

I run Zonealarm (free) but Windows XP advises only to run one. Which
one though?

I now receive e-mails with no pictures, what's doing this?

Beware though that spammers can use image downloads to validate your
e-mail address and then sell it on again as 100% valid !

Noman

yeah you should try a program like mailwasher to bounce the spam back to
their server

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!

Old September 5th 04, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

"noman" wrote:

Just connected with Pipex and got the Service Pack 2 update with it's new
firewall which is currently switched off.

I run Zonealarm (free) but Windows XP advises only to run one. Which one
though?

Zonealarm definitely. The pro (paid for) version is even better, and worth the few
pounds it costs IMHO

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old September 6th 04, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

yeah you should try a program like mailwasher to bounce the spam back to
their server

Don`t ever bother to bounce spam - just delete it.

It only adds up to the general sh!t floating around the internet. Most of
it is either spoofed or joe-jobbed, so you`ll either be causing innocent
servers work for nothing, or hitting some poor b*stard who has the
misfortune of being picked as the "from" address this week.

If its any help, i`ve got some filters for mailwasher online at
www.phoenixbbs.co.uk that can be copied / adapted for your own needs.

Old September 6th 04, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Stoned Monkey wrote:

yeah you should try a program like mailwasher to bounce the spam
back to their server

You mean bounce any spam back to the forged address which the spammers are
using at the time.

Bouncing spam is a very bad idea which can lead to network congestion at
best, or at worst means some unfotunate person, who's address has been
forged, gets the bounces as spam. Best thing to do is to use mailwasher &
just delete from server. It takes a minimum of effort to write your
blacklist & update it & once you have you may be suprised at how little spam
you actually see.

Old September 6th 04, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Stoned Monkey wrote:

yeah you should try a program like mailwasher to bounce the spam back to
their server

Please don't. It will mostly go to non-existent addresses and get
bounced back to you thereby trebling the amount of junk one spam
creates. With a lot of forged addresses around a proportion will also
go to real people with nothing to do with the spam.

Tony