UPnP Devices

Old September 4th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

Default UPnP Devices

Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2
Connect using a D-Link G604T

In 'My Network Places' there is a new Network Task 'Show Icons For Networked
UPnP Devices'

Is there any danger in turning this on as it seems to open up a port in the
new Service Pack 2 firewall?

Old September 4th 04, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Kimball K Kinnison wrote:

Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2
Connect using a D-Link G604T

In 'My Network Places' there is a new Network Task 'Show Icons For Networked
UPnP Devices'

Is there any danger in turning this on as it seems to open up a port in the
new Service Pack 2 firewall?

port 5000 perhaps?

you can always try a test to see if you are vulnerable

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

I also recommend the other tests - especially messenger & rpc/dcom