ADSL Nation AMX-64

Old September 4th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default ADSL Nation AMX-64

Just bought one of these second hand, for a friend who is having ADSL soon.

I've set it up with my own ADSL connection and it works fine.

However two odd things with it using the Shields Up port scan site.

Port 80 is shown as open, and all other ports are 'Closed' rather than 'Stealth'

My Solwise router doing the same test indicates 'Stealth' for everything.

Can anyone explain ?

Old September 4th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:33:54 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband,
"Mark Carver" wrote:

Port 80 is shown as open, and all other ports are 'Closed' rather than 'Stealth'

Port 80 is used for the web interface (but you can probably both change from
port 80 to some other, and disable WAN access... I monitor several 4-port
AMX models, but none were from ADSL Nation, which may have their own
modified user interface)

My Solwise router doing the same test indicates 'Stealth' for everything.

Check the description from GRC... From memory 'closed' means the router is
effectively acknowledging there is equipment present, while 'stealth' is a
GRC description where a request to use the port simply times out as if no
item was at that IP. My cheapo Ebuyer router gives stealth, and it will
encourage me to suggest people use such a unit in future. Peter M.
Old September 5th 04, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Mark Carver
writes
Port 80 is shown as open, and all other ports are 'Closed' rather than
'Stealth'

I can't remember the exact settings but you need to disable the http
server. Do the ftp one whilst you are there. Disable access from WAN.
Change the default passwords too, they are well known out there!
To stealth all the ports, enable the DMZ but give it an address that is
not used on the LAN eg. 10.0.0.111. This will stealth everything but
ping reply. IIRC that router doesn't allow you to disable ICMP.
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Old September 5th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

pete devlin wrote:
In message , Mark Carver
writes
Port 80 is shown as open, and all other ports are 'Closed' rather
than 'Stealth'

I can't remember the exact settings but you need to disable the http
server. Do the ftp one whilst you are there. Disable access from WAN.
Change the default passwords too, they are well known out there!
To stealth all the ports, enable the DMZ but give it an address that
is not used on the LAN eg. 10.0.0.111. This will stealth everything
but ping reply. IIRC that router doesn't allow you to disable ICMP.

Thanks Pete, and Peter for your replies. Router nicely 'stealthed up'
now. Many Thanks