512kbps Nildram to 1mbps with..??

Old September 4th 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Default 512kbps Nildram to 1mbps with..??

Currently on 512kbps ADSL from Nildram, I'm on dslsurf500 but it's
physically an early engineer install.

I'm starting to get into online audio/video more and more so I'm tempted by
1mbps, 2mbps would be nice but whilst I could afford it I don't think I
could justify the extra outlay.

I've been happy with Nildram but they are more expensive than others so
I'm considering jumping ship.

First question is who to look at?

I'm a believer in getting what you pay for but at the same time I don't
want to pay over the odds for the hell of it - I'm considering Plusnet as
from reading here and over on adslguide, they seem to do well on
price/performance.

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions, but the likes of Zen, Eclipse
and other "premium" ISPs do seem to pricing themselves out of things for
the "home enthusiast".

Main uses are obviously web browsing, usenet binaries and P2P but nothing
"stupid". Static IP would be nice but not worth paying for. Usage
fluctuates between 2gb and 13gb if I look at my usage over the last 4
months so I suspect I'm looking at an "unlimited" package.

The other question is if I can actually get 1 or 2mbps? If I use the BT
checkers on my line they say -

"Our initial test on your line suggests that you may be able to have an
ADSL broadband service that provides up to 2Mbps download speed."

Which seems pretty ambiguous. I have Conexant PCI modem, and it reports
45.6db downstream attenuation, but obviously I don't know how reliable this
is.

I'd be grateful for any advice

regards,
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old September 4th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 4 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Paul Hutchings wrote:

I'm on dslsurf500 but it's physically an early engineer install.

First thing I'd do would be to ask the question of some other ISPs,
concerning moving from an engineer install to a wires only service,
(a) whether it is more complicated, and (b) what costs are involved.

You are already tempted to use Plus.Net so give them a ring on the 0845
number (1p/min on weekends, and how many other ISPs will give you their
answer tonight :-)) Then, you will have a view on how friendly/ helpful/
confident you find the response from PlusNet and will have something to
compare with. I'm not sure which other ISPs to suggest, and who will
answer on a Sunday (for example) but you may be pleasantly surprised.

I suppose there could be far more ISPs open on the weekend in Sales than
in tech support, so you'll at least have a chance to compare 'hype' for
their 1000 kbps services. I remember speaking to my ISP sometime over
a weekend but they no longer seem to show an 0870 number (some would
be critical of that, but I could care less :-)

Perhaps you can report back on the way you found staff (*if* you were
answered) at ISPs, on which gave a reasonable impression. Also, while
I've not had use of their Flex service, Eclipse has certainly not been
massively attacked, from memory (but you have some reservation on cost
grounds, I think... perhaps the Flex deal would be worth trying?) PGM

Old September 4th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
.4
The other question is if I can actually get 1 or 2mbps? If I use the
BT checkers on my line they say -

"Our initial test on your line suggests that you may be able to have
an ADSL broadband service that provides up to 2Mbps download speed."

Which seems pretty ambiguous. I have Conexant PCI modem, and it
reports
45.6db downstream attenuation, but obviously I don't know how
reliable this is.

From Monday you will certainly be able to get 1Mbps.

Assuming the downstream attenuation figure is accurate - you are borderline
for 2Mbps, so if you wanted a 2Mbps service you would just have to order and
see what BT say.

Regards
Sunil

Old September 5th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

poster wrote in
:

First thing I'd do would be to ask the question of some other ISPs,
concerning moving from an engineer install to a wires only service,
(a) whether it is more complicated, and (b) what costs are involved.

I regraded a while back, so as far as I know I'm officially on a wires-only
in BT's eyes, it's not a paper-exercise at Nildram as they did some time
back with tariff changes.

I did look at Eclipse, the flex option looks interesting, though a
migration fee almost negates the savings over, say, an unimited usage
tariff at thirty quid a month.

Whenever people at work ask me to suggest an ISP as they're thinking of
going broadband I always tend to point them to Nildram, Pipex, Plusnet or
AA - funny how when it's your own money you pick over the fine details like
everyone else :-)

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old September 5th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 5 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Paul Hutchings wrote:

I did look at Eclipse, the flex option looks interesting, though a
migration fee almost negates the savings over, say, an unimited usage
tariff at thirty quid a month.

The monthly charge from MetroNet is a touch lower, but with Plus.Net
you'd get the web space, news (inc binaries), fax-to-email, CGI/shell
access, etc, etc :-) I'm sure few others offer as many extras. (With
free migration at the moment, too !!) Peter.