BT/Wanadoo & Ofcom on broadband pricing

Old September 4th 04, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default BT/Wanadoo & Ofcom on broadband pricing

From http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media_office...ws/nr_20040901
----
Ofcom proposes to make a decision that BT Group plc has infringed Section 18
of the Competition Act 1998 and Article 82 of the EC Treaty in relation to
the company's residential broadband pricing.

Ofcom has therefore sent to BT a Statement of Objections stating the facts
of the case, the matters to which it has taken objection, the action it
proposes and the reasons for this.

The investigation into BT's residential broadband pricing was initiated by
Ofcom's predecessor Oftel after a complaint by Wanadoo UK plc and is
ongoing.

BT now has the opportunity to make written and oral representations in
response to Ofcom's proposed decision. These will be taken fully into
account before any final decision is made.
----

I think this is the 3rd time that Oftel/Ofcom have looked at this now - the
first two times they decided to clear BT of any wrongdoing...

Regards
Sunil

Old September 4th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

From http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media_office...ws/nr_20040901
----
Ofcom proposes to make a decision that BT Group plc has infringed Section 18
of the Competition Act 1998 and Article 82 of the EC Treaty in relation to
the company's residential broadband pricing.

Ofcom has therefore sent to BT a Statement of Objections stating the facts
of the case, the matters to which it has taken objection, the action it
proposes and the reasons for this.

The investigation into BT's residential broadband pricing was initiated by
Ofcom's predecessor Oftel after a complaint by Wanadoo UK plc and is
ongoing.

BT now has the opportunity to make written and oral representations in
response to Ofcom's proposed decision. These will be taken fully into
account before any final decision is made.

Ofcom could fine BT up to 400m! Frankly I think that the government should be
encouraging and helping BT to make broadband available everywhere not fining
them because Wanadoo (previously Freeserve) can't make a profit.

From my limited experience of Freeserve, Wanadoo are a company to be avoided if
at all possible. If they cant make a profit with the existing wholesale prices I
would be happy to see them leave the market.

It was the BT wholesale ADSL price reduction announced in Feb 2002 which lead to
the rapid expansion of ADSL. Prior to the price reduction ADSL was an expensive
luxury, after the price reduction it was almost a 'no brainer' for anyone paying
15 per month for dialup.

Michael Chare

Old September 4th 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"Michael Chare" wrote in
message ...
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

Ofcom could fine BT up to 400m! Frankly I think that the government

should be
encouraging and helping BT to make broadband available everywhere not

fining
them because Wanadoo (previously Freeserve) can't make a profit.

From my limited experience of Freeserve, Wanadoo are a company to be

avoided if
at all possible. If they cant make a profit with the existing

wholesale prices I
would be happy to see them leave the market.

It was the BT wholesale ADSL price reduction announced in Feb 2002

which lead to
the rapid expansion of ADSL. Prior to the price reduction ADSL was an

expensive
luxury, after the price reduction it was almost a 'no brainer' for

anyone paying
15 per month for dialup.

Michael Chare

At least Wanadoo nee Freeserve provide a reliable Internet service,
which is considerably more than BTOW/BT/Yahoo do.
Regards Mike.

---

Old September 4th 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Mike GW8IJT" wrote in message
"Michael Chare" wrote in
message ...
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

Ofcom could fine BT up to 400m! Frankly I think that the government

should be
encouraging and helping BT to make broadband available everywhere not

fining
them because Wanadoo (previously Freeserve) can't make a profit.

From my limited experience of Freeserve, Wanadoo are a company to be

avoided if
at all possible. If they cant make a profit with the existing

wholesale prices I
would be happy to see them leave the market.

It was the BT wholesale ADSL price reduction announced in Feb 2002

which lead to
the rapid expansion of ADSL. Prior to the price reduction ADSL was an

expensive
luxury, after the price reduction it was almost a 'no brainer' for

anyone paying
15 per month for dialup.

Michael Chare

At least Wanadoo nee Freeserve provide a reliable Internet service,
which is considerably more than BTOW/BT/Yahoo do.
Regards Mike.

Indeed. I've been with Freeserve (can't and won't say that ridiculous
name..!) for 2 years and have just upped my service from 512k to 1MB for
the same money (27.99/month). Ok so there's a 30GB limit but I never get
anywhere near it. I could have had a lower download limit (but still at
1MB) for less money but I figured I might need it sometime and I was used
to paying that price.

Ivor

Old September 4th 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Mike GW8IJT" wrote in message
snip
At least Wanadoo nee Freeserve provide a reliable Internet service,
which is considerably more than BTOW/BT/Yahoo do.

Well if the reliability I had when using Freeserve PAYG service was like the
service I'm having with BT-broadband I would still be with Freeserve...

When it started to take over 5 min's just to log-on it was time to dump them
and then the help desk (@ 1 GBP per/m) just patriot fashioned telling me to
check my setting (like the hell I hadn't done that already) and then just
telling me that they must just be very busy:~(

Old September 5th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
The Grass is greener

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:48:03 +0100, [Mike GW8IJT] said :-

"Michael Chare" wrote in
message ...
"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

Ofcom could fine BT up to 400m! Frankly I think that the government

should be
encouraging and helping BT to make broadband available everywhere not

fining
them because Wanadoo (previously Freeserve) can't make a profit.

From my limited experience of Freeserve, Wanadoo are a company to be

avoided if
at all possible. If they cant make a profit with the existing

wholesale prices I
would be happy to see them leave the market.

It was the BT wholesale ADSL price reduction announced in Feb 2002

which lead to
the rapid expansion of ADSL. Prior to the price reduction ADSL was an

expensive
luxury, after the price reduction it was almost a 'no brainer' for

anyone paying
15 per month for dialup.

Michael Chare

At least Wanadoo nee Freeserve provide a reliable Internet service,
which is considerably more than BTOW/BT/Yahoo do.

Wrong - it is better for *you*, you cannot generalise. There have
people said bad things about Wanadoo in this very newsgroup.

Also - do you know that wanadoo are hosting a pr0n spammer ? Indeed,
the pr0n spammer has been using and abusing webpages on voila.fr,
perso.wanadoo.es, gratisweb.com and others. Wanadoo ignored this for
over 6 months. It is also possible that gratisweb.com is being used
for illegal stuff.
Old September 6th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:21:40 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

and then the help desk (@ 1 GBP per/m) just patriot fashioned telling me to
check my setting

Er.... parrot? :-)