Linksys wireless G router niggle

Old September 4th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard

Default Linksys wireless G router niggle

Hi,

I am wireless to my laptop and to the lounge PC. No probs.

I am wired to my games and programs pc's in the computer room. The wired
links are all by ethernet, no USB. DCHP is enabled for laptop, all others
have fixed IP's.

I get the little popup at the bottom right on one of the wired connections
saying network disconnected for maybe a second, then it comes back up again.
Tried a different ethernet port on the router but it still did it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

Old September 4th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Tavener

Could be the PC shutting down the LAN interface to save power, check the
adapter properties and ensure it is set to be always on. If that is ok then
it could be the LAN adapter auto negotiation with the router. Does the
router support 100Mbps or 10? Set the LAN adapter to the same speed as the
router supports, you can always fail safe to 10Mbps half duplex to start
with and see it that helps, rather than auto.
Hope you figure it out.

Graham

Old September 5th 04, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard

"Graham Tavener" wrote in message
Could be the PC shutting down the LAN interface to save power, check the
adapter properties and ensure it is set to be always on. If that is ok

then
it could be the LAN adapter auto negotiation with the router. Does the
router support 100Mbps or 10? Set the LAN adapter to the same speed as the
router supports, you can always fail safe to 10Mbps half duplex to start
with and see it that helps, rather than auto.
Hope you figure it out.

Graham

Thanks for that and I have had a go.

I couldn't find where in XP I set the 10/100 speed. One PC says 10 (and is
fine) the troublesome one says 100. Also it says it is a 4 port switch, and
has direct LAN cable to a port on the Linksys, whereas the other PC goes
through a hub as well.

I am wondering if the switch has something to do with it.

Richard

Old September 6th 04, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 23:25:10 +0100, "Richard" wrote:

I couldn't find where in XP I set the 10/100 speed.

AFAIR, in XP you set the card speed in the adapter device settings.
Try setting everything to 10MBit on all machines.

One PC says 10 (and is fine) the troublesome one says 100.

If the router isn't capable of properly autonegotiating, or if this
machine is plugged into a hub only capable of 10MBit, then having the
card at 100 is doomed to die.

Also it says it is a 4 port switch, and
has direct LAN cable to a port on the Linksys, whereas the other PC goes
through a hub as well.

The hub is possibly only capable of 10mbits?

I am wondering if the switch has something to do with it.

Its pretry rare to find a router/switch that isn't 10/100 these days,
so no.