AOL

Old September 5th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joy

Default AOL

My friend just bought a new PC with XP home on. Having installed the AOL 9
cd rom and then the broadband cd, everything is fine.

Now after 2 days AOL keeps logging off BB and reconnecting. Also she is
trying to download AOL BB CheckUp. It gets so far (7mb or so) of the 15.6 mb
then hangs and will not continue with the download.

I have uninstalled AOL for her and reinstalled everything. All is OK with
the PC she has all the latest updates (inc XP service pack 2) and all is
running fine apart from AOL.

Anyone here have any suggestions as to what I might be

Thanks
Joy

PS. I installed service pack 2 for her if that helps

Old September 5th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
####

Big mistake installing SP2 at this stage. It's been causing a lot of
problems. Uninstall it in the meantime or use System Restore. After that,
phone the freephone AOL broadband helpline. That's what it's there for.

Old September 5th 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

"####" wrote:

Big mistake installing SP2 at this stage. It's been causing a lot of
problems.

Really? What problems, and with what?

Generally from what I've seen and read it seems to be pretty stable. Tried it here on
a couple of machines and so far (touch wood) all seems well (fx: crash!)

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old September 6th 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
####

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1636071,00.asp

"Microsoft has published a list of nearly 50 software programs that
require tweaking in order to work with its most recent Windows update.

In an effort to head off support calls, Microsoft has published a list
of about 50 programs from both the Redmond software giant and third-party
software vendors that require tweaking in order to work properly with
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)."

"In Weblog postings and interviews with eWEEK.com, users have reported
everything from unproblematic installs to complete system failures. In
between, difficulties varied from confusing user interface changes to broken
applications to performance slowdowns. Many said SP2's features improved
their confidence in the platform's security; others said they continue to be
surprised by minor issues.

"Overall I'm still not convinced of SP2's stability, and I keep expecting to
find issues with my other applications," wrote developer Kulvinder Maingi in
a Weblog post. "

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-628...geID=161258 9

"XPSP2 does indeed break applications.
XPSP2 seems to have broken IBM Domino Web Access. (XP
2600.xpsp2_rc1.040311-2315) on some end user machines and in each instance
DWA fails. It seems as though SP2 upgrades IE6 to v6.0.2900.2096 SP2 and
causes DWA InBoxes to fail, even if we turn off the built-in popup blocker,
clear cookies, offline files, history and lower security levels. Here's the
error:
Status Bar reads, "Retrieving records..." and a few seconds later a
popup, "Error retrieving data. Click the browser's Refresh button to reload
the page." appears.
This problem happens on multiple machines, both in the corporate LAN
on Dell clients and at home on an IBM clone machine. Users running XP or XP
SP1 have no problems w/ DWA.
This error has been submitted to Microsoft Beta testing as an error,
but knowing how M$ loves IBM products I doubt I'll see a reply."

Dozens of other links like this. Seriously, if you haven't heard of
numerous issues with SP2 then you really need to keep your ear to the ground
before you go slapping in major updates to your OS. I've seen workplace
machines hosed by SP2 already.

Old September 6th 04, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
My friend just bought a new PC with XP home on. Having installed the AOL 9
cd rom and then the broadband cd, everything is fine.

Now after 2 days AOL keeps logging off BB and reconnecting. Also she is
trying to download AOL BB CheckUp. It gets so far (7mb or so) of the 15.6
mb
then hangs and will not continue with the download.

I have uninstalled AOL for her and reinstalled everything. All is OK with
the PC she has all the latest updates (inc XP service pack 2) and all is
running fine apart from AOL.

Anyone here have any suggestions as to what I might be

Thanks
Joy

PS. I installed service pack 2 for her if that helps

Many thanks to you all for your help. I went today and uninstalled SP2 and
its fixed the problem. Its stayed connected now for 12 hours without a
problem. I think she needs to wait a while before installing it.

Thanks Joy