Linksys Wireless Router

Old September 5th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Default Linksys Wireless Router

Can anyone offer some advice on the following problem
I have a linksys wirless router and keep getting problems accessing the
internet - basically I can get connection to the router (comes up connected
with good signal strength) but will not load internet pages etc untill I
plug in the ethernet cable change a few settings in the setup for the router
save and then go back and undo the changes - then it lets me surf wirless -
could anyone provide some help or advice it would be greatly appreciated

Jon

Old September 5th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stormsinger

"Jon" wrote:

Can anyone offer some advice on the following problem
I have a linksys wirless router and keep getting problems accessing the
internet - basically I can get connection to the router (comes up connected
with good signal strength) but will not load internet pages etc untill I
plug in the ethernet cable change a few settings in the setup for the router
save and then go back and undo the changes - then it lets me surf wirless -
could anyone provide some help or advice it would be greatly appreciated

Are you using a manually configured set up or DCHP? IMHO it is better to manually
assign IP addresses etc as you'll get a reliable network.

Also have you set DNS servers manually? If not it could well be that Windows isn't
getting DNS resolution properly.

I hope all of the above makes sense - I've had a long day and am getting to the very
sleepy stage.

--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old September 5th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

"Stormsinger" wrote in message
"Jon" wrote:

[...]

thanks for the reply, I have had a long day and can hear my bed calling - i
will stick my head into the manual and see if I can make sense of what you
suggested (newbie to networking)
many thanks for your advise - i will post again tomorrow if i am still
having probs

Jon

Old September 5th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Lord

"Jon" wrote:

[...]

My experience with 3 linksys routers and randomly occuring DNS problems has
taught me to ignore DCHP for wireless clents, set the clients' IP addresses
and DNS settings manually. All 3 routers I've set up have worked fine
initially but have been unable to provide DNS resolution to wireless clients
after a hard reset. Never quite worked out what I'm doing wrong after the
resets that I was doing right initially.