new Broadband availability message

Old September 6th 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default new Broadband availability message

usually on the BT Yahoo line checker says "your exchange is enabled but you are
too far from the exchange blah blah..."

But the line checker has a new message which I have never seen before...

"We cannot provide broadband (ADSL) on this number.
Your telephone exchange is Bourne End
This exhange is broadband enabled.
However, previous engineering checks have proved that it is not possible for
your telephone line to support broadband. "

Should I be concerned by this new message even though they are dropping the
limits?

Old September 6th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Noble

"Beck" wrote in message
But the line checker has a new message which I have never seen before...

"We cannot provide broadband (ADSL) on this number....
...However, previous engineering checks have proved that
it is not possible for your telephone line to support
broadband. "

Should I be concerned by this new message

Yes I think you should. It's a lot worse than the one I just got.

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband.
Our initial test indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to
receive 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of
your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish
to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the
broadband service. It is currently not possible to provide the 1Mbps or
2Mbps ADSL broadband services."

...and that was bad enough.

Jim

Old September 6th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Jim Noble" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
But the line checker has a new message which I have never seen before...

"We cannot provide broadband (ADSL) on this number....
...However, previous engineering checks have proved that
it is not possible for your telephone line to support
broadband. "

Should I be concerned by this new message

Yes I think you should. It's a lot worse than the one I just got.

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband.
Our initial test indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to
receive 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of
your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish
to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the
broadband service. It is currently not possible to provide the 1Mbps or
2Mbps ADSL broadband services."

..and that was bad enough.

Its okay, they were just teasing me with a false message.

Old September 6th 04, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Jim Noble" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
But the line checker has a new message which I have never seen before...

"We cannot provide broadband (ADSL) on this number....
...However, previous engineering checks have proved that
it is not possible for your telephone line to support
broadband. "

Should I be concerned by this new message

Yes I think you should. It's a lot worse than the one I just got.

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband.
Our initial test indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to
receive 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of
your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish
to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the
broadband service. It is currently not possible to provide the 1Mbps or
2Mbps ADSL broadband services."

For comparisonm, I now get:

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL
broadband service that provides 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed. However, due
to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where
possible, supply the broadband service"

and I have managed to place an order with Pipex. The line is about 6.2km and the
loss was about 63db.

Michael Chare

Old September 6th 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

How do you find out what your line loss is? I live under 4KM from the
telephone exchange and upto now have been unable to get broadband, it would
be interesting to find out what my line loss is.

Old September 6th 04, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:28:39 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

usually on the BT Yahoo line checker says "your exchange is enabled but you are
too far from the exchange blah blah..."

But the line checker has a new message which I have never seen before...

"We cannot provide broadband (ADSL) on this number.
Your telephone exchange is Bourne End
This exhange is broadband enabled.
However, previous engineering checks have proved that it is not possible for
your telephone line to support broadband. "

Should I be concerned by this new message even though they are dropping the
limits?

What we need is some contenders for the record books:
1) The greatest distance from the exchange that a subscriber has been
enabled;
2) The nearest someone has been to an exchage with Broadband not
available to them;
3) And to round off this triva, the most expensive 512kbps Broadband
ISP (Many posters here ask for the cheapest Broadband service
available, so I wanted to be the first to ask for the most expensive!)

David Bradley

Old September 6th 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

I must be in the running for nearest to the exchange and unable to get
broadband. My claim for this competition is 3.76KM (straight line).

Old September 6th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nigel. carron

In message , Dave
writes
I must be in the running for nearest to the exchange and unable to get
broadband. My claim for this competition is 3.76KM (straight line).

Nope a whole area near my village was out of limits - yet well under
3.76km.. They ran wires via another villlage many years ago - I would
be very surprise if the winning line was over a Km TBH!

--
Nigel J Carron

Old September 6th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Dave" @. wrote in message
How do you find out what your line loss is? I live under 4KM from the
telephone exchange and upto now have been unable to get broadband, it would
be interesting to find out what my line loss is.

When I originally applied for ADSL in 2002 this information was freely available
from BT via and ISP. When I re-applied in the summer of 2003, the information
was much harder to obtain because of a BT policy, but I did eventually manage to
get someone in Zen to find out for me. I had to be very persistent but they did
help. Pipex were not so helpful.

Michael Chare

Old September 6th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

[...]

I put these people forward as the most expensive...

down up install monthly
ADSL 20:1 512 kbps 256 kbps 199 55
ADSL 20:1 1 Mbps 256 kbps 199 75
ADSL 20:1 2 Mbps 256 kbps 199 95
Please note all prices exclude VAT.

This is their soho range, they don't offer a 50:1 product. However, they
do offer 'enterprise' products for which the prices are not available on
their website (http://www.viatel.com).