Clarifying migration

Old September 6th 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
higgy

Default Clarifying migration

Is migration really as simple as obtaining my MAC key fom the old ISP and
then giving it to the new ISP?

In other words - there's nothing else I have to do, say or take into
account? Is, for instance, Wanadoo's usual requirement of 28 days notice
for termination, waived when it comes to migration? It's been suggested in
a Freeserve ng that it's best not to even mention leaving as a certainty,
when asking for the MAC, in case they mistakenly/maliciously terminate the
account and cause more bother. Is that the right approach? Just ask for the
MAC and don't tell them anything else?

I should point out, I'm into my 13th month on Freeserve/Wanadoo broadband,
so the minimum 12 month contract is no-longer an issue.

Dave.
Old September 7th 04, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Comley

higgy wrote:

Is migration really as simple as obtaining my MAC key fom the old ISP and
then giving it to the new ISP?

Yep, that's about the size of it. Your new ISP then puts an order in
to BT Wholesale who will move your account, usually about a week
later.

In other words - there's nothing else I have to do, say or take into
account? Is, for instance, Wanadoo's usual requirement of 28 days notice
for termination, waived when it comes to migration?

Wanadoo (or any ISP) probably won't *give* you a MAC number within the
period of any cancellation period they wish to impose.

It's been suggested in
a Freeserve ng that it's best not to even mention leaving as a certainty,
when asking for the MAC, in case they mistakenly/maliciously terminate the
account and cause more bother. Is that the right approach? Just ask for the
MAC and don't tell them anything else?

Freeserve *have* been known to "cease" an account which is supposed to
be being "migrated". I have only imported one or two Freeserve
customers onto our network so I can't comment on the statistical
likelyhood that this could happen again. If it *is* happening more
than as a rare accident of admin, then it should be reported to Oftel
or similar, I guess, or perhaps even BTWholesale though I doubt they'd
be interested.

I should point out, I'm into my 13th month on Freeserve/Wanadoo broadband,
so the minimum 12 month contract is no-longer an issue.

Again, if it were an issue, I'd expect F/W to refuse to issue a MAC -
or at least, inisist you pay off some minimum fee. Depends on the
original deal you signed up. If you got free install or free hardware,
for example, then they need you tos tay with them at least a year to
recover those costs. If you paid fully for the install and your own
hardware, then they're just being picky, but nevertheless if that's
what the contract says... :-)

---
Business ADSL solutions
www.wizards.co.uk
Old September 7th 04, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
higgy

Chris Comley wrote:

higgy wrote:

Is migration really as simple as obtaining my MAC key fom the old ISP
and then giving it to the new ISP?

Yep, that's about the size of it. Your new ISP then puts an order in
to BT Wholesale who will move your account, usually about a week
later.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Dave.