Going from 512k to 1Meg on the 6th

Old September 6th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Finnigan

Default Going from 512k to 1Meg on the 6th

Hi everyone,
I`m currently with NDO and was told when I was supplied that 512k was the
best that my line coule do - I`m about 3km from the exchange, and the line
is about 26 years old :-) The ADSL modem says that the line attenuation is
60.3 dB downstream, and 31.5 dB upstream. I`d love to go to 1meg ADSL, but
at the moment NDO can`t tell me if I`ll be able to upgrade. Anyone got a
clue if it`d be possible?

Thanks for your help.

--
What am I selling on ebay right now?
http://tinyurl.com/38yjc

Old September 6th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Simon Finnigan wrote:

Hi everyone,
I`m currently with NDO and was told when I was supplied that 512k was the
best that my line coule do - I`m about 3km from the exchange, and the line
is about 26 years old :-) The ADSL modem says that the line attenuation is
60.3 dB downstream, and 31.5 dB upstream. I`d love to go to 1meg ADSL, but
at the moment NDO can`t tell me if I`ll be able to upgrade. Anyone got a
clue if it`d be possible?

BT today increased the possibilities of getting 1Mb. However, your line
is VERY borderline. New limit for 1Mb is 60dB. See
http://snipurl.com/8lyf for more info.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old September 6th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
higgy

"Simon Finnigan" wrote:

I`m currently with NDO and was told when I was supplied that 512k was
the best that my line coule do - I`m about 3km from the exchange, and
the line is about 26 years old :-) The ADSL modem says that the line
attenuation is 60.3 dB downstream, and 31.5 dB upstream. I`d love to
go to 1meg ADSL, but at the moment NDO can`t tell me if I`ll be able
to upgrade. Anyone got a clue if it`d be possible?

Have you checked your number here?

http://www.bt.com/broadband/

I entered my number a couple of weeks ago and it said 512k only (due to
line length, IIRC), but now it suggests that 1Mbps may be possible, though
will probably require an engineers visit.

Dave.
Old September 6th 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I entered my number a couple of weeks ago and it said 512k only (due
to line length, IIRC), but now it suggests that 1Mbps may be
possible, though will probably require an engineers visit.

I think they are hedging their bets. My line runs 512 AOK and the
modem/router reports the line loss as 54dB so 1MB should be OK.

Old September 6th 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dunesea

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
I entered my number a couple of weeks ago and it said 512k only (due
to line length, IIRC), but now it suggests that 1Mbps may be
possible, though will probably require an engineers visit.

I think they are hedging their bets. My line runs 512 AOK and the
modem/router reports the line loss as 54dB so 1MB should be OK.

My Router says :

SNR Downstream :36.0 dB
Aten : 55 dB

Would 1k work with mine? I'm with pipex 512 atm.

Thanks

Si

Old September 6th 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

My Router says :

SNR Downstream :36.0 dB
Aten : 55 dB

Would 1k work with mine? I'm with pipex 512 atm.

As far as I know yes. Certainly I have ordered mine with Plusnet today and
they see no problem.

Old September 6th 04, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Finnigan

Andy M Jenkins wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Hi everyone,
I`m currently with NDO and was told when I was supplied that 512k
was the best that my line coule do - I`m about 3km from the
exchange, and the line is about 26 years old :-) The ADSL modem
says that the line attenuation is
60.3 dB downstream, and 31.5 dB upstream. I`d love to go to 1meg
ADSL, but at the moment NDO can`t tell me if I`ll be able to
upgrade. Anyone got a clue if it`d be possible?

BT today increased the possibilities of getting 1Mb. However, your
line
is VERY borderline. New limit for 1Mb is 60dB. See
http://snipurl.com/8lyf for more info.

I thought it was tomorrow - if I thought it was today I`d have just emailed
support. I suppose I`ll go and do that now anyway.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old September 6th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Andy M Jenkins wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Hi everyone,
I`m currently with NDO and was told when I was supplied that 512k
was the best that my line coule do - I`m about 3km from the
exchange, and the line is about 26 years old :-) The ADSL modem
says that the line attenuation is
60.3 dB downstream, and 31.5 dB upstream. I`d love to go to 1meg
ADSL, but at the moment NDO can`t tell me if I`ll be able to
upgrade. Anyone got a clue if it`d be possible?

BT today increased the possibilities of getting 1Mb. However, your
line
is VERY borderline. New limit for 1Mb is 60dB. See
http://snipurl.com/8lyf for more info.

I thought it was tomorrow - if I thought it was today I`d have just emailed
support. I suppose I`ll go and do that now anyway.

Thanks everyone for your help.

No harm in ordering 1mb. if it fails the test you still have your 512
connection and have lost nothing.

Old September 6th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message

Hi everyone,
I`m currently with NDO and was told when I was supplied that 512k was
the best that my line coule do - I`m about 3km from the exchange, and
the line is about 26 years old :-) The ADSL modem says that the line
attenuation is
60.3 dB downstream, and 31.5 dB upstream. I`d love to go to 1meg
ADSL, but at the moment NDO can`t tell me if I`ll be able to upgrade.
Anyone got a clue if it`d be possible?

Yes, it will work. (assuming the figure your router figure is accurate)

The 60dB limit for 1MB that BT quote assumes their is no ADSL on the line -
its actually about 64dB on a line which is already enabled.

Regards
Sunil

Old September 6th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message

Hi everyone,
I`m currently with NDO and was told when I was supplied that 512k was
the best that my line coule do - I`m about 3km from the exchange, and
the line is about 26 years old :-) The ADSL modem says that the line
attenuation is
60.3 dB downstream, and 31.5 dB upstream. I`d love to go to 1meg
ADSL, but at the moment NDO can`t tell me if I`ll be able to upgrade.
Anyone got a clue if it`d be possible?

Yes, it will work. (assuming the figure your router figure is accurate)

The 60dB limit for 1MB that BT quote assumes their is no ADSL on the
line - its actually about 64dB on a line which is already enabled.

It seems that the new 1MB limit is identical to the old 512 limit. So anyone
with a current 512 service should be able to get a 1MB service. Or is that
logic, as I suspect, too simple. Anyway, I understand that it isn't just a
case of line attenuation but also "noise margin" and how the 2 interact.

Gareth.