BT Broadband Voice?

Old September 6th 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default BT Broadband Voice?

I'm trying to find a value for money VoIP provider and all I can find so far
is BT Broadband Voice.

One thing that strikes me though is the question - what's the point? The
prices, including line rental/call plans, don't seem to be any better than a
plain old analogue telephone service and the call rates aren't much better
either (except the international call rates?) The mobile rates are awful.

A few years ago Dialaphone and Net2Phone were offering free UK to UK calls
via a 33/56K connection. I know that VoIP is a completely different system.
Still, am I missing something or is VoIP not yet a good deal in the UK?

Is anyone using BT Broadband Voice?

Gareth.

Old September 6th 04, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

I'm trying to find a value for money VoIP provider and all I can find so

far
is BT Broadband Voice.

One thing that strikes me though is the question - what's the point? The
prices, including line rental/call plans, don't seem to be any better than

plain old analogue telephone service and the call rates aren't much better
either (except the international call rates?) The mobile rates are awful.

A few years ago Dialaphone and Net2Phone were offering free UK to UK calls
via a 33/56K connection. I know that VoIP is a completely different

system.
Still, am I missing something or is VoIP not yet a good deal in the UK?

Is anyone using BT Broadband Voice?

Gareth.

BT has been ripping us off for years for voice telephony and now we have the
power to circumvent the PSTN to make and receive phone calls why would
anyone want to use BT or any other Telco.

If its PC-PC calls in question, then why would you need to spend anything at
all other than a broadband monthly fee?
And in a few years I imagine practically everyone will have an always on
connection, so why use the PSTN even as an endpoint to VOIP?

I imagine BT are sh**ing themselves with this thought no wonder they are
pushing the BT Broadband Voice thing.

AFAIK VOIP is a generic term simply meaning any voice over internet
application.
Different applications like NetMeeting
MSN Messenger, Net2Phone implement it in different ways.

The current buzz word seems to be SIP, the emphasis seems to be on actual
hardware telephones connected via Ethernet or WiFi,

I think we my be at the beginning of a revolution.

Graham.

Old September 7th 04, 05:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:21:25 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

[...]

Who do you think provide all the lines and inter-connections that make
up the internet? The only thing that's changed is that deregulation
has allowed more competition and lower pricing, and advances in
technology have reduced the real cost of providing services.

Chris

Old September 7th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Gareth on 06/Sep/2004 19:35:

I'm trying to find a value for money VoIP provider and all I can find so far
is BT Broadband Voice.

One thing that strikes me though is the question - what's the point? The
prices, including line rental/call plans, don't seem to be any better than a
plain old analogue telephone service and the call rates aren't much better
either (except the international call rates?) The mobile rates are awful.

A few years ago Dialaphone and Net2Phone were offering free UK to UK calls
via a 33/56K connection. I know that VoIP is a completely different system.
Still, am I missing something or is VoIP not yet a good deal in the UK?

Is anyone using BT Broadband Voice?

Gareth.

Have a go with Skype. This is free for Skype-to-Skype calls and low cost for
calling "real" phones.

The quality is excellent. It's an easy install.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Old September 7th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

Julian Knight wrote:
From Gareth on 06/Sep/2004 19:35:

[...]

Going back to the OP question, what's the point?

With UK calls as low as 1 penny per call or with "as many calls as you
like for a flat fee" packages, why hassle with voip?

In my opinion, for personal / small business use in most cases, voip is
a non starter from a money value point of view, it only becomes viable
at corporate size level.

In addition, with the appearance of PAYG Broadband, using voip becomes
even less attractive

Old September 7th 04, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 07 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, omney wrote:

With UK calls as low as 1 penny per call or with "as many calls as you
like for a flat fee" packages, why hassle with voip?

For someone who might spend time in the UK and abroad (or for that matter
in more than one part of the UK) but wanting an ability to make and/or
receive voice calls which are not costing as much as many personal no.
services, it would seem some of these VoIP services would be fine...

In addition, with the appearance of PAYG Broadband, using voip becomes
even less attractive

You are not forced to use PAYG, and even some of the PAYG services are good
value eg MetroNet - why would anyone use their fixed-fee account when the
upper limit on the charges is capped at the same level, and a 1000 kbps
connection, with fixed IP, is from 16.75 to 28.75 inc VAT... Indeed
they seem to have wiped their fixed price accounts anyway :-) Peter M.
Old September 7th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

--
My Website http://www.thedragon.co.uk
"Gareth" wrote in message
I'm trying to find a value for money VoIP provider and all I can find so
far is BT Broadband Voice.

One thing that strikes me though is the question - what's the point? The
prices, including line rental/call plans, don't seem to be any better than
a plain old analogue telephone service and the call rates aren't much
better either (except the international call rates?) The mobile rates are
awful.

A few years ago Dialaphone and Net2Phone were offering free UK to UK calls
via a 33/56K connection. I know that VoIP is a completely different
system. Still, am I missing something or is VoIP not yet a good deal in
the UK?

Is anyone using BT Broadband Voice?

Gareth.

Ont thing forgotton to be mentioned. If you go away, from your house, to a
mates, on holiday, away on business. Take your Cisco ATA away with you, and
your number will follow you anywhere in the world. All you need is an
ethernet connection to the net.

Also its a cheap way to get a 2nd line in your house if the wife is
permanaty on the main line, you can let her hog the VoIP line instead,
freeing up the main line for normal calls.
This is why I got it. 6.99 for a 2nd line, + free cals, can really argue
with that.

Old September 8th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linus Surguy

"Gareth" wrote:

I'm trying to find a value for money VoIP provider and all I can find so far
is BT Broadband Voice.

You could also look at www.intervivo.net and www.voiptalk.org

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP? We will gateway SIP & IAX to and from the PSTN.
Old September 8th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From omney on 07/Sep/2004 11:25:

Julian Knight wrote:

From Gareth on 06/Sep/2004 19:35:

[...]

For UK landline only, you may be right. But once you start to add in
international calls and mobiles it becomes more interesting.

However, if like me you spend time away from home in hotels, the economics
become more interesting. I would probably want a hotel broadband connection
anyway so using that for calls to home would mean that I could have long, even
indefinite conversations with family at home without running up phone bills that
my employer would refuse to pay (and I might get taxed on if they did pay).

There is also the opportunity for alternative communications too so you are not
restricted to voice. Video and data become feasible over broadband. Shared
applications, white boards, remote support -- all integrated so that you can
speak to someone whilst doing remote support or sharing a white board and
application. This is great for small businesses where a few staff can now be
used far more widely.

In addition, with the appearance of PAYG Broadband, using voip becomes
even less attractive

Yep, steer clear of capped services if you are not sure.

Old September 8th 04, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dean hedges

http://www.iptalks.net

Free International Long Distance Calls from any phone.

With IPTalks, there a

-- No Connection Fees
-- No Monthly or weekly Fees
-- 30 Second Billing
Once the $5 is used up (on us), you will have the option to continue
using our service with the same lowest international rates guarantee.

Automatic Number Identification (ANI)

With this convenient feature, our system recognizes your phone number.
You can place calls from your registered phone number(s) without
entering a pin.

Here are a few additional features