Broadband ISPs get offered a hand in marriage.

Old September 7th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Andy M Jenkins

Default Broadband ISPs get offered a hand in marriage.

"The UK Internet Foundation (UKIF) today have received a proposal from
broadband ISP Plusnet - which on the face of it could save a number of
the trade body members' from going out of business."
http://snipurl.com/8wkj

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old September 7th 04, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Beck

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
"The UK Internet Foundation (UKIF) today have received a proposal from
broadband ISP Plusnet - which on the face of it could save a number of
the trade body members' from going out of business."
http://snipurl.com/8wkj

Its an interesting idea but why would PlusNet do this? Surely its in their
interest for other companies to fail?

Old September 7th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers
poster

On 7 Sep 2004 in alt.internet.providers.uk, "Beck" wrote:

Its an interesting idea but why would PlusNet do this? Surely its in
their interest for other companies to fail?

It seems more likely to me that if they get a 5% cut as profit and the
ISPs buying service from them are happy, they won't lose out and while
some might have a dislike of Plus.Net, just as some dislike Tiscali, a
user may not know that the service they're buying is supplied by their
"sworn enemy" because PN, just like Tiscali, is not "customer facing",
but ISP-facing. (One of the ISPs I use uses Tiscali and I'm happy :-)

Old September 7th 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
PlusNet Support

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:43:24 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
"The UK Internet Foundation (UKIF) today have received a proposal from
broadband ISP Plusnet - which on the face of it could save a number of
the trade body members' from going out of business."
http://snipurl.com/8wkj

Its an interesting idea but why would PlusNet do this? Surely its in their
interest for other companies to fail?

hi there,

We benefit from a competative industry and the industry as a whole
will benefit from the offer we made. It has been well received by the
UKIF co-ordinators as we are simply helping out and do not stand to
make any financial gain.

kind regards

Luke
--
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+
Old September 7th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Beck

wrote:

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
"The UK Internet Foundation (UKIF) today have received a proposal from
broadband ISP Plusnet - which on the face of it could save a number of
the trade body members' from going out of business."
http://snipurl.com/8wkj

Its an interesting idea but why would PlusNet do this? Surely its in their
interest for other companies to fail?

hi there,

We benefit from a competative industry and the industry as a whole
will benefit from the offer we made. It has been well received by the
UKIF co-ordinators as we are simply helping out and do not stand to
make any financial gain.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I really cannot believe a company would help out
without any gain to themselves. Plusnet have their own business to look after
without helping out others who are their competitors. Thats like Tesco's saying
they will pay for Sainsburys to open new shops. It just does not happen :-)

Old September 7th 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers
poster

On 7 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Thats like Tesco's saying they will pay for Sainsburys to open
new shops.

Not quite - more like 'we'll deliver to your shops with our trucks
and charge you what it costs' (rather than carry the cost and not be
breaking even). I would expect there to be something for 'admin' to
be paid by the smaller ISPs, but if Plus.Net buys more capacity for
less per customer, they potentially save themselves money without
having to drop their existing, competitive, charges. So there
would still be a benefit for them, too. Peter M.
Old September 7th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Ian Wild

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:11:18 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

Sorry to be so cynical, but I really cannot believe a company would help out
without any gain to themselves. Plusnet have their own business to look after
without helping out others who are their competitors. Thats like Tesco's saying
they will pay for Sainsburys to open new shops. It just does not happen :-)

Actually, I don't think you were being cynical, just realistic. What
Luke meant was that we are not doing this now for any specific
commercial gain - When you look at what we are proposing and the costs
that would be incurred for us, the proposal benefits both parties (Us
in the long term), but doesn't result in us cashing in now! Of course,
from any transactions such as this there would be something in it for
us - We are a business and nobody is trying to say otherwise.

The main motivation behind the announcement is that the last thing we
want to see in the market is less smaller ISPs and we have simply
proposed a way in which we can assist in reducing their costs by
aggregating their customer connections through one place. This isn't a
reseller model, but bear in mind the purpose of the PR was to ask for
a conversation with those ISPs, so details, until that has happened,
are not something I can confirm.

Regards,

Ian
Old September 7th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Rob Lee

Hi,

"The UK Internet Foundation (UKIF) today have received a proposal from
broadband ISP Plusnet - which on the face of it could save a number of
the trade body members' from going out of business."
http://snipurl.com/8wkj

Its an interesting idea but why would PlusNet do this? Surely its in their
interest for other companies to fail?

hi there,

We benefit from a competative industry and the industry as a whole
will benefit from the offer we made. It has been well received by the
UKIF co-ordinators as we are simply helping out and do not stand to
make any financial gain.

kind regards

Luke

I wouldn't say that in fact quite the opposite, perhaps focusing on
the task in hand, would be a very welcomed goal.

This goal is to stop the majority of small ISP's being bankrupted by
an outragous BT margin squeeze, targeted directly at medium and small
ISP's.

Rob Lee
Old September 7th 04, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Dave J

In within
uk.net.providers, 'Ian Wild' wrote:

The main motivation behind the announcement is that the last thing we
want to see in the market is less smaller ISPs and we have simply
proposed a way in which we can assist in reducing their costs by
aggregating their customer connections through one place.

It is also a perfect reply to tactics on the part of BT that a few
people have remarked upon as seeming purpose designed to squish the
smaller providers.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old September 7th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Frank le Spikkin

Ian Wild wrote in
:

... we can assist in reducing their costs by
aggregating their customer connections through one place. This
isn't a reseller model ...

These points appear to me to be contradictory. Please explain
further?