Anyone connected to Tesco yet?

Old September 7th 04, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Anyone connected to Tesco yet?

Was going to go with Dialstart but they sound like they should be avoided.
Tesco is the next cheapest for unlimited 512K but does it work?

Has anyone found any Ts&Cs for Tesco yet?

Do they have a POP3 email server?

Cheers.

Dave.

Old September 7th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Dave wrote:
Was going to go with Dialstart but they sound like they should be
avoided. Tesco is the next cheapest for unlimited 512K but does it
work?

Don't know but the price looks good. Got to be something wrong with it. ;-)

Has anyone found any Ts&Cs for Tesco yet?

http://www.tesco.net/terms_conditions.asp

If it's any consolation, I couldn't find them either until I phoned up and
got told that they're on the tesco.net home page, *not* the broadband page.

It looks to be the standard(ish) 12 months minimum contract with 70
cancellation charge if you want out within the first year. Uncapped at
present although they reserve the right to cap if necessary in the future.

I happy with Zen at the moment but I've a friend who want to get connected
and on-line at the least cost possible so it looks attractive with the free
connection and low monthly charge. The free modem is of no interest to me or
my friend but I suppose it might interest some.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old September 7th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Was going to go with Dialstart but they sound like they should be
avoided. Tesco is the next cheapest for unlimited 512K but does it
work?

Don't know but the price looks good. Got to be something wrong with it. ;-)

I imagine that you end up with an email address that includes the name Tesco.
Is that something that you would want?

Michael Chare

Old September 7th 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin

It looks to be the standard(ish) 12 months minimum contract with 70
cancellation charge if you want out within the first year. Uncapped at
present although they reserve the right to cap if necessary in the future.

What's that mean?

You can sign up now with unlimited bandwidth but at any point they may
decide to cap your bandwidth?
And (then) leave you with the remainder of your 12 month contract to fulfil?

Martin.

Dave.

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old September 7th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

Dave wrote:
Has anyone found any Ts&Cs for Tesco yet?

Tim Downie responded:
http://www.tesco.net/terms_conditions.asp

Para. 1 of the Conditions says (my emphasis):
"We will provide you with the online services available *from time to
time* via Tesco broadband, which *may* include the use of email,
webspace, usenet newsgroups and access to the www.tesco.net website (the
"Service")".

Sounds very dodgy, and might be *very* intermittent! g

Yes, I know that it's lawyer-speak. I write as someone who's been on
Tesco 'Anytime' for a couple of years - I've been very happy with that
service and have just signed up for their broadband

--
DB.

..

Old September 7th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 7 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "DB." wrote:

Sounds very dodgy

sounded more like "we expect it to work, but don't guarantee 100%
uptime" which is pretty much what every ISP suggests :-) Peter M
Old September 7th 04, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

poster wrote:
On 7 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "DB." wrote:

Sounds very dodgy

sounded more like "we expect it to work, but don't guarantee 100%
uptime" which is pretty much what every ISP suggests :-) Peter M

I imagine that to the lawyer "from time to time" means something along
the lines of "between the dates agreed", whereas to the ordinary punter
it means "occasionally". Having signed-up for Tesco's broadband service
I'm trusting that it will be available more often than "occasionally"!

--
DB.

Old September 7th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"DB." wrote
snip....
Yes, I know that it's lawyer-speak. I write as someone who's been on
Tesco 'Anytime' for a couple of years - I've been very happy with that
service and have just signed up for their broadband

Be sure to let the group know what you think of it once its up and running
)

Old September 8th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Dave Mason" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:13:29 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Chare"
wrote:

I imagine that you end up with an email address that includes the name

Tesco.
Is that something that you would want?

Buy a domain name from http://123-reg.co.uk/ for 3 per year and
redirect to your Tesco POP box.

Or even more to the point, what residential user cares whether a email
address contains 'tesco' or 'bt' as long as it works and is reliable.

Old September 8th 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:00:47 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband,
"Dave" wrote:

Or even more to the point, what residential user cares whether a email
address contains 'tesco' or 'bt' as long as it works and is reliable.

It becomes something of a pain when the user changes ISP, or the service
provided is painfully unreliable, and lots of people know that address,
so the user wants to change ISP but fears losing contact. I'd say the
sooner the better for one to not be tied to an ISP's mail address!