Wanted: Reasonable wireless router/modem recommendations.

Old September 7th 04, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Default Wanted: Reasonable wireless router/modem recommendations.

My friend wants me to set him up with a combined wired/wireless home
network on broadband.

Without spending silly money, which wireless router/modems would folk
recommend. I see some routes now come with a USB printer port which would
be nice, but not essential. Would also prefer one with at least 4 ports.

Is the USRobotics jobby here
any good?

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Old September 7th 04, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Is the USRobotics jobby here
any good?

I have the USR Wireless access point which shares the same circuitry as the
radio part of the one above. It works a treat and compared with the
performance of others I have tried knocks spots off them. I chose this
method to give me more choice of ADSL modem/router. I currently run it with
a Draytek router. It is easy to set up. Thoroughly recommended. I can't
comment on the rest of the item.

Old September 7th 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 7 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Tim Downie" wrote:

which wireless router/modems would folk recommend.

A friend is using the Belkin 7630. His nephew is using a Netgear.
Neither cost 'silly money' and both are happy with their kit. PGM
Old September 8th 04, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:52:59 +0100, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

My friend wants me to set him up with a combined wired/wireless home
network on broadband.

Without spending silly money, which wireless router/modems would folk
recommend. I see some routes now come with a USB printer port which would
be nice, but not essential. Would also prefer one with at least 4 ports.

Is the USRobotics jobby here
any good?

Look here http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=456 for
some reviews.

Then look here
http://www.misco.co.uk/departments/CN83/Wireless_Routers/index.htm
for the real prices (excluding VAT), or
http://www.simply.co.uk/search//000603/1////MANUFACTURERA//Wireless+Networking.htm
including VAT.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
These are only my opinions. You should see my convictions.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old September 8th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:34:19 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

Look here http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=456 for
some reviews.

For the benefit of the OP I feel I should point out that this is an
unusual review as it differs very considerably in its findings from
every other review I have read (which is at least another 6). If I
can find where the other reviews were I will post the links for
reference. The above review is definitely something of an "outlier"
with their results on wireless range.

Then look here
http://www.misco.co.uk/departments/CN83/Wireless_Routers/index.htm
for the real prices (excluding VAT), or
http://www.simply.co.uk/search//000603/1////MANUFACTURERA//Wireless+Networking.htm
including VAT.

Good recommendations - I'd have automatically gone for ebuyer as they
are generally cheaper, but once you take other factors into account
(see below) they may not be the best option.

For example - the Belkin F5D7630(UK), which is a popular and seemingly
reliable unit:

Prices inc VAT if I ordered today (Wednesday)

Misco 72.84 + free next day P&P
Simply 67.99 + unspecified delivery costs and times....
Ebuyer 68.57 + 5.28 P&P delivery next week.