problems with adsl modem and phone line

Old September 7th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sarah James

Default problems with adsl modem and phone line

I've been using Eclipse broadband connected via an Alcatel USB ADSL
modem for around a year. No problems. Yesterday the modem decided it
couldn't find a signal. Worse, my phone line is now engaged whenever
the modem is connected, whether the computer is on or not. Unplug the
modem phone line is fine. Plug it in again, phone line dead.

Anyone had this problem before & can it be fixed?

Any help appreciated,

Sarah J.
Old September 7th 04, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

"Sarah James" wrote in message
om...
I've been using Eclipse broadband connected via an Alcatel USB ADSL
modem for around a year. No problems. Yesterday the modem decided it
couldn't find a signal. Worse, my phone line is now engaged whenever
the modem is connected, whether the computer is on or not. Unplug the
modem phone line is fine. Plug it in again, phone line dead.

Anyone had this problem before & can it be fixed?

Any help appreciated,

Sarah J.

Hi Sarah, my first take is that your usb adsl modem is faulty - simplest
thing to do would be to borrow another mdem and check if your phone line is
ok with it connected - ther must be thousands of redundant Alcatel Frogs
around just like the one in my spares cupboard.
Colin

Old September 7th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sarah James" wrote in message
om
I've been using Eclipse broadband connected via an Alcatel USB ADSL
modem for around a year. No problems. Yesterday the modem decided it
couldn't find a signal. Worse, my phone line is now engaged whenever
the modem is connected, whether the computer is on or not. Unplug the
modem phone line is fine. Plug it in again, phone line dead.

Anyone had this problem before & can it be fixed?

Probably a faulty filter or modem - try borrowing replacements to see which
is faulty.

Regards
Sunil

Old September 11th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sarah James

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message ...
"Sarah James" wrote in message
om
I've been using Eclipse broadband connected via an Alcatel USB ADSL
modem for around a year. No problems. Yesterday the modem decided it
couldn't find a signal. Worse, my phone line is now engaged whenever
the modem is connected, whether the computer is on or not. Unplug the
modem phone line is fine. Plug it in again, phone line dead.

Anyone had this problem before & can it be fixed?

Probably a faulty filter or modem - try borrowing replacements to see which
is faulty.

Regards
Sunil

Sunil,

thanks - replacement modem did the trick!

S.