Which ISP Wanadoo or Plusnet or ANother ? Modem or Router ?

Old September 7th 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

Default Which ISP Wanadoo or Plusnet or ANother ? Modem or Router ?

Now that I can get BB at 512k I am going to switch from my Freeserve
Anytime Dial Up account to BB

I am a "silver surfer" and use the internet purely for pleasure I have
had the Freeserve connection for well over 6yrs and apart from the
slowness of the connection have no reason to switch to BB. With an as
yet undecided ISP.

I have one MAJOR irritation and that is SPAM which until this year has
not been a problem It was only when the ISP Freeserve now Wanadoo
announced and implemented SPAM FILTERING that it became an irritation I
now find that of the 100 or so emails that I receive a day 95 are marked
Spam and the others are what I expect to get i.e. from the NASA site
etc. And are wanted/subscribed.

Using Turnpike 6.02 I just get rid of these by clicking on " All Read"
The PROBLEM is that this can eat up my allowance of "activity" defined
as 400 emails per week in the Wanadoo 17.99 OPTION 1 OFFERING
..
I t seems very good value for money BUT you have to sign a 12 MONTH
CONTRACT whereas with Plus net you don't (monthly)
I have come to the conclusion in simple terms that Wanadoo is the Ford
and Plusnet is the BMW ? I know that its a case of "pay your money and
take your choice " BUT which is the better of the two in your opinion ?
WHY ?

My choice is made harder in that I have "for fun" two computers sitting
side by side
A 5yr old Compaq Presario2292 with 4gb HD and ageing AMD CPU with no
free space inside the slim case to take an Ethernet card. Running WIN98
and it is rock steady when connected to the net (2hrs)

The other that I made last year has P3. 850 Hz 40 and 120 GB HD running
Win XPpro with an Intel537 V92 modem that seems to throw me off line at
frequent intervals 4/10 min It also has a disabled 3com Ethernet XL
10/100 PCI TX NIC {3C905-TX) Card installed by a previous owner

These two machines are connected to the net (one at a time) by a simple
splitter so that I can download data /instructions on the Presario ,hold
it on its screen while I make the changes to the DIY machine It works
for me

If I go to BB how can I accomplish the same facility of sharing the
connection in a manner that with my limited understanding can be easily
achieved.

To add to the "fun" I have an ADT burglar alarm fitted and from what I
hear this can be a problem ?

I would welcome constructive comment .
--
Ronald Jones
Old September 7th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Ronald Jones wrote:
Now that I can get BB at 512k I am going to switch from my Freeserve
Anytime Dial Up account to BB

snip
I t seems very good value for money BUT you have to sign a 12 MONTH
CONTRACT whereas with Plus net you don't (monthly)
I have come to the conclusion in simple terms that Wanadoo is the Ford
and Plusnet is the BMW ? I know that its a case of "pay your money
and take your choice " BUT which is the better of the two in your
opinion ? WHY ?

snip

www.adslguide.org.uk
www.net4nowt.com
www.ispreview.co.uk

There are plenty of ADSL ISPs out there. Read the opinions and the ratings,
make a decision.

If I go to BB how can I accomplish the same facility of sharing the
connection in a manner that with my limited understanding can be
easily achieved.

You really need a modem/router/switch, which will allow both computers to be
connected to the ADSL at the same time. You could get round not being able
to put a network card in PC1 by finding a router that will allow you to
connected a PC using USB. Unless, of course, it has an internal 56k modem
which could just be taken out and replaced with a network card.

Wanadon'ts (or BT Yahoo or anybody else's) free modem will be redundant if
you choose this route.

To add to the "fun" I have an ADT burglar alarm fitted and from what I
hear this can be a problem ?

Presumable it has a dialler, right? I know the RedCare systems don't
interfere, but others would need to be filtered in the same way as any
telephone device needs to be filtered. Not 100% sure.

Dominic

Old September 8th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
roy

Whatever you do don't go with wanadoo. They have a severe cap
backed by some very strange defenitions of what constitutes
1GB. Have a read for yourself at their bb offerring website.

Old September 13th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

" Now that I can get BB at 512k I am going to switch from my Freeserve
Anytime Dial Up account to BB

I am a "silver surfer" and use the internet purely for pleasure I have
had the Freeserve connection for well over 6yrs and apart from the
slowness of the connection have no reason to switch to BB. With an as yet
undecided ISP.

snip

id forgot about plusnet and wannado ,i was with both for a year, i found
their support very lacking
plusnet always seemed to have a "newbie" who didnt have a clue and although
with wannadoo
i didnt have to use their support too often (mostly billing problems)when i
did i had the most comical excuses for not helping me ,
eg " this is the nightshift sir,we only offer a very basic technical support
" just got my mac code from wanadoo
after 5 weeks of trying and a dozen phone calls,im off to f2surf as plans
look good as well as support
and also a monthly contract

ferg

remove nospam to reply