Need some advice

Old September 7th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Need some advice

I currently do not have a BT PSTN line. I have a home highway line which I
want to keep. My local exchange is enabled for ADSL but up till now we have
been beyond the acceptable distance.

I now need to know if I can get an ADSL line. If I put my Home Highway
number into the checker it tells me I am within range but notes correctly
that I have an ISDN line that would need to be changed. If I put my two
next door neighbours numbers in, the checker states that it is unlikely ADSL
will work over the distance, although an order would be accepted. I know
our lines follow the same route as they were both down together a few weeks
ago when a cable was broken.

What I want to do is order ADSL on a new circuit from BT. But I do not want
to have to pay for an installation and then be committed to the 12 month BT
contract if ADSL will not work. I know when I enquired about installing
ADSL at work, where we had no analogue BT lines, that BT would not accept an
order for an ADSL line, we had to order the BT line (with 12 month
commitment) and then get it tested to see if it was suitable for ADSL, with
no opportunity to cancel the line if it failed. Is this still the case? Is
there any way around this problem?

Peter

Old September 7th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Well if you do not need the ISDN line anymore, then just place the order for
adsl on that line and arrangements would be made to remove the ISDN within the
order.

Old September 7th 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Peter wrote:
[...]

Some ISP's will arrange a one hit line/ADSL install where if the line fails
then the line is ceased & you incure no penalties. Sorry but I can't point
you to any, but the likelyhood of you failing now os quite small.

Have a shop around & see who has what on offer...

Old September 7th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 7 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Peter" wrote:

But I do not want to have to pay for an installation and then be
committed to the 12 month BT contract if ADSL will not work.

Then you want a 'managed conversion' which will mean the change from Highway
to ADSL will be done (and if ADSL is unusable, you're switched back the same
day - though from the comments of late, BT will do all in their power to get
things going nowadays...) A while back there was a list of ISPs which were
happy to handle managed conversions, but it was in the autumn of 2002 IIRC.

There's a fee for conversion, but I don't know if that is payable extra to a
setup fee for ADSL. You might want to first look for ISPs doing free setup,
then see which are able to handle Highway - ADSL afterwards. Peter M.

Old September 7th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:28:00 UTC, poster wrote:

Then you want a 'managed conversion' which will mean the change from
Highway to ADSL will be done

No, he wants to keep the Highway and get a new line.

So I guess he wants a 'combined install new line and ADSL' package,
which a few ISPs can provide.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old September 7th 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ronny

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

If you go with BT they will come and test your line prior to fitting adsl,
if adsl does not work they will re-install your ISDN, dont worry about it

Plus net also have this in there terms

ISDN (all types )
Integrated Services Digital Network - A digital telephone service that
provides slightly faster connectivity than the analogue telephone system
that is required for Broadband ADSL. While an ISDN line cannot support
Broadband ADSL it is now possible to have it exchanged for an Broadband ADSL
enabled analogue line as part of the sign-up process.

Solution: We will arrange to have your current ISDN line converted to
broadband Broadband ADSL, and the cost for conversion will be charged
through your regular BT telephone bill. If your line cannot support
Broadband ADSL, your ISDN connection is reinstalled free of charge.
Conversion to Broadband ADSL: £50:00 inc VAT (paid separately to BT)

Activation of Broadband ADSL from an ISDN conversion will take approximately
15 working days from the point of signup.

Try www.plus.net there a good ISP

Ronny

Old September 7th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ronny

Ahh I read wrong, you already have your "pair" of telephone lines tied up
surely? with the ISDN.

You would need a whole new cable lay to have a new line in and keep ISDN
whcih seems pointless to me?

Contact BT and ask them I spose

Ronny

Old September 7th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"ronny" wrote in message

Ahh I read wrong, you already have your "pair" of telephone lines
tied up surely? with the ISDN.

You would need a whole new cable lay to have a new line in and keep
ISDN whcih seems pointless to me?

ISDN only uses one pair - most people have more than one in the BT cable.

Regards
Sunil

Old September 7th 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:37:50 UTC, "ronny" wrote:

Ahh I read wrong, you already have your "pair" of telephone lines tied up
surely? with the ISDN.

Well, one pair of wires. There's probably another pair (at least) in the
drop cable.

You would need a whole new cable lay to have a new line in and keep ISDN
whcih seems pointless to me?

Not necessarily.

I have a PSTN line for ADSL, and ISDN for normal household use as well
as backup for the ADSL. Of course the drop wire is the obvious single
point of failure, but last time that failed it was only one of the pairs
(and was fixed within 90 minutes).