HELP! ADSL / 802.11G router dropping wireless connection randomly

Old September 7th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dylan

Default HELP! ADSL / 802.11G router dropping wireless connection randomly

Hi all,

I hope you will be able to give me some advice on this. We've got
Wanadoo ADSL (had it for about a year now), but there are 2 laptops and
1 desktop all vying for the connection. Yesterday my DabsValue
wireless ADSL router (PTI-840G) arrived, and following the instructions
promptly had the wireless and wired networks running perfectly. The
setup guide didn't mention security options but with a bit of trial and
error, my centrino laptop was happily using the connection as if it was
directly plugged into the ADSL modem.

The problem occurred after about 3 or 4 hours of surfing - my laptop
can't find the network at all, let alone connect to it. The wired part
of the network continues to work happily. Last night a swift off/on to
the router did the trick - I put it down to teething troubles. Except
it just did it again earlier today!

The laptop is a newer one with 802.11b/g (Intel PROwireless), as is the
router (unknown "paradigm" brand, unsure of the chipset). The laptop
is running XP SP2.

Old September 8th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , dylan
writes
The laptop is a newer one with 802.11b/g (Intel PROwireless), as is the
router (unknown "paradigm" brand, unsure of the chipset). The laptop
is running XP SP2.

Control panel - admin tools - services - wireless zero config, turn off.
Should all be peachy after that.
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Old September 8th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , dylan
writes
Can the PROset software handle this instead of windows?

Should do.

Does it work as well as XP SP2?

SP2 hasn't improved anything AFAICS. It's a bit prettier with the
wireless icons and that though.......

Old September 9th 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wood

In message , pete devlin
writes
In message , dylan
writes
Can the PROset software handle this instead of windows?

Should do.

It can.

Does it work as well as XP SP2?

SP2 hasn't improved anything AFAICS. It's a bit prettier with the
wireless icons and that though.......

You should make sure you're running the latest 8.1.0.26 / 8.1.0.44
(can't remember which version number relates to which component) driver
for the 2200BG card in the laptop. There's various SP2 fixes in PROset
in this version.

This driver is relatively new - it came out right at the end of July.

David
--
David Wood

Old September 10th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , chris
writes
Spoken like a true idiot.

Suck my swingers Buckley. Please explain to those assembled how wireless
networking is so much better under SP2 then?
Old September 11th 04, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , chris
writes
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:36:13 +0100 and in article
, pete devlin said...
: In message , chris
: writes
: Spoken like a true idiot.
:
: Suck my swingers Buckley.

Yes,

It's a metaphorical term of non endearment, it wasn't an invitation. I'm
shocked by your acceptance you stool tapper.

I realise you're into that..

Are you from NZ? You seem to have a similar under developed banter
skills.

: Please explain to those assembled how wireless
: networking is so much better under SP2 then?

That's not the question. You stated: 'SP2 hasn't improved anything
AFAICS' - which is pure bull****.

You are indeed correct - it is pure bull****. If you actually care to
read what was written, you'll see that it was in response to a question
about whether SP2 will improve the OPs wireless problem. AFAICS, the
only change in this area is prettier icons. It worked well enough in the
1st place. I can understand that you have nothing else in your life
apart from your operating system and that you defend it as a normal man
would chivalrously defend his woman's honour, but please don't jump to
conclusions. Read what is actually written before exposing your weird
emotional leanings to the world.

SP2 has majorly changed the way the
NT kernel works under Windows and has made significant core changes to
the windows code-base.

I like it all apart from the fact that my Kaspersky didn't work after
installation.

IIRC, the Wireless capabilities of Windows are
much improved in sp2. However, you surely know best - looks are
everything aren't they.

Ahem. I like it. It has improved things and it looks prettier. Wireless
is just the same as it was before.

Idiot.

****wit
Old September 11th 04, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , chris
writes
And you are 100% wrong.

Which part of the phrase "as far as i can see" don't you understand?

Microsoft have stated on numerous occasions that the wi-fi code built
into the NT kernel has been 'improved.' As Windows isn't open source,
we will never know what changes have taken place, so we're just going
to have to go with MS on this one.

Ah, so "as far as you can see" it's the same as before, but because they
say it's different it must be.

I, for one, would prefer to listen to them, than to a snivelling little
twerp like you.

Oh, aren't you just the daddy of the kindergarten playground? Try
reading stuff and comprehending its meaning, rather than jumping in feet
first and looking like a ****wit. ****wit.
Old September 11th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , chris
writes
I don't base my presumption on code changes around changes in the GUI.
To do so is pure ****wittery. Surely you conclude?

I do. I never stated anything different. You presumed I did and acted
like a jilted lover. I am SP2'd up on all my machines but I have no
teenage infatuation with it. If however, you were to slag off my router
and adsl connection................. )