[OT] [ish] AVG Anti Virus

Old September 8th 04, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default [OT] [ish] AVG Anti Virus

From doing some Googling the free edition of this seems to have
some happy users. It does appear to have one draw back, in that
auto updates can only occur at a fixed time, or manually initiated.
If the PC is not switched on at the preselected time, then the update
simply doesn't happen. No big deal, it is a free product after all !

However I'm thinking of installing on my Mother-In-Law's machine
as her present version of Norton expires soon. I don't want her fiddling
about, and having to remember to manually run updates.

I did find one person who had written a utility to enable AVG to run
auto updates a lá Norton, but the download link is broken.
Does anyone know of such a utility I can download from somewhere ?

Old September 8th 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 07:37:50 +0100, "Mark Carver"
wrote:

From doing some Googling the free edition of this seems to have
some happy users. It does appear to have one draw back, in that
auto updates can only occur at a fixed time, or manually initiated.
If the PC is not switched on at the preselected time, then the update
simply doesn't happen. No big deal, it is a free product after all !

However I'm thinking of installing on my Mother-In-Law's machine
as her present version of Norton expires soon. I don't want her fiddling
about, and having to remember to manually run updates.

I did find one person who had written a utility to enable AVG to run
auto updates a lá Norton, but the download link is broken.
Does anyone know of such a utility I can download from somewhere ?

I ditched AVG for precisely this reason and switched to Avast... Same
setup as AVG (Free after free registration) with a much cleaner
interface and automatic updates every time you go online then regular
checking. It updates at least 3 or 4 times a week.

Once its installed you don't need to worry about it ever again.
(unless you get a virus that is!)

--

Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
Old September 8th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
From doing some Googling the free edition of this seems to have
some happy users. It does appear to have one draw back, in that
auto updates can only occur at a fixed time, or manually initiated.
If the PC is not switched on at the preselected time, then the update
simply doesn't happen. No big deal, it is a free product after all !

However I'm thinking of installing on my Mother-In-Law's machine
as her present version of Norton expires soon. I don't want her fiddling
about, and having to remember to manually run updates.

I did find one person who had written a utility to enable AVG to run
auto updates a lá Norton, but the download link is broken.
Does anyone know of such a utility I can download from somewhere ?

May I recommend Avast antivirus to you. Its free for home use and updates as
and when necessary instead of once a week or whatever.
for a registration code

Old September 8th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 10:20:03 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
From doing some Googling the free edition of this seems to have
some happy users. It does appear to have one draw back, in that
auto updates can only occur at a fixed time, or manually initiated.
If the PC is not switched on at the preselected time, then the update
simply doesn't happen. No big deal, it is a free product after all !

However I'm thinking of installing on my Mother-In-Law's machine
as her present version of Norton expires soon. I don't want her fiddling
about, and having to remember to manually run updates.

I did find one person who had written a utility to enable AVG to run
auto updates a lá Norton, but the download link is broken.
Does anyone know of such a utility I can download from somewhere ?

May I recommend Avast antivirus to you. Its free for home use and updates as
and when necessary instead of once a week or whatever.
for a registration code

beat you to it ;-)

Old September 8th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

wrote:

May I recommend Avast antivirus to you. Its free for home use and updates as
and when necessary instead of once a week or whatever.
for a registration code

beat you to it ;-)

Many thanks to both of you, looks like being 'just the job' !

Cheers

Old September 8th 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
From doing some Googling the free edition of this seems to have
some happy users. It does appear to have one draw back, in that
auto updates can only occur at a fixed time, or manually initiated.
If the PC is not switched on at the preselected time, then the update
simply doesn't happen. No big deal, it is a free product after all !

However I'm thinking of installing on my Mother-In-Law's machine
as her present version of Norton expires soon. I don't want her fiddling
about, and having to remember to manually run updates.

I did find one person who had written a utility to enable AVG to run
auto updates a lá Norton, but the download link is broken.
Does anyone know of such a utility I can download from somewhere ?

May I recommend Avast antivirus to you. Its free for home use and updates as
and when necessary instead of once a week or whatever.

send
for a registration code

beat you to it ;-)

nah nah nah nah nah :-p

Old September 8th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GwG

wrote:

May I recommend Avast antivirus to you. Its free for home use and updates
as
and when necessary instead of once a week or whatever.
send
for a registration code

beat you to it ;-)

Many thanks to both of you, looks like being 'just the job' !

Same here, I have just downloaded and installed Avast, it found 8 virus
occurrences that Norton had ignored

Old September 8th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BigBoutYah

wrote:

May I recommend Avast antivirus to you. Its free for home use and
updates as
and when necessary instead of once a week or whatever.
you send
for a registration code

beat you to it ;-)

Many thanks to both of you, looks like being 'just the job' !

Same here, I have just downloaded and installed Avast, it found 8 virus
occurrences that Norton had ignored

I have just installed Avast and ditched AVG on my home network, it seems
fine!!
I got tired of manaul updates.

Old September 8th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

wrote:

May I recommend Avast antivirus to you. Its free for home use and
updates as
and when necessary instead of once a week or whatever.
you send
for a registration code

beat you to it ;-)

Many thanks to both of you, looks like being 'just the job' !

In defence of AVG I'd say that it probably better for older slower PCs as it
seems to have a less deleterious effect on overall performance than AVAST.
If your MILs pc falls into this catagory, she might not thank you for an
antivirus program that significantly slows her pc.

Tim

Old September 8th 04, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
higgy

wrote:

May I recommend Avast antivirus to you. Its free for home use and
updates as
and when necessary instead of once a week or whatever.
installing you send
for a registration code

beat you to it ;-)

Many thanks to both of you, looks like being 'just the job' !

In defence of AVG I'd say that it probably better for older slower PCs
as it seems to have a less deleterious effect on overall performance
than AVAST. If your MILs pc falls into this catagory, she might not
thank you for an antivirus program that significantly slows her pc.

I also like AVG and I'm not sure what all the whinging is about. I set
AVG to update every few days at 13.45, because that is a time that my PC
is left on and I'm not usually using it. If it isn't on, it tries again
the following day. What could be simpler? Other than some intrusive
resource hog that feels the need to check for updates every 30 seconds
(OK, I haven't used Avast and I gave up on Norton years ago, but that's
what they sound like). Only idiots need that kind of protection.

Dave.