broadband with free router

Old September 8th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
taquitto

Default broadband with free router

hello

anyone know a broadband conection with give you a free router?

thanks
Old September 8th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"taquitto" wrote in message
m...
hello

anyone know a broadband conection with give you a free router?

thanks

Free modem, yes. but never a free router! hahaha!

Old September 8th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"taquitto" wrote in message
anyone know a broadband conection with give you a free router?

There is/was one but its monthly fees were so high it's cheaper to buy your
own and choose an ISP with a lower monthly fee.

Regards
Sunil

Old September 8th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woof

On 8 Sep 2004 10:37:31 -0700, (taquitto) wrote:

anyone know a broadband conection with give you a free router?

Most of the Business ADSL packages include a free router.
Old September 8th 04, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"taquitto" wrote in message
m...
hello

anyone know a broadband conection with give you a free router?

thanks

BT Yahoo give you a subsidised SpeedTouch 530 for 20 as part of their
package aimed at gamers.

You'll have difficulties getting one for free though.

Stephen

Old September 8th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message

"taquitto" wrote in message
m...
hello

anyone know a broadband conection with give you a free router?

thanks

BT Yahoo give you a subsidised SpeedTouch 530 for 20 as part of their
package aimed at gamers.

You'll have difficulties getting one for free though.

Thats the one I just bought, should be here in the next few days.

Old September 9th 04, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"taquitto" wrote in message
m...
hello

anyone know a broadband conection with give you a free router?

thanks

BT Yahoo give you a subsidised SpeedTouch 530 for 20 as part of their
package aimed at gamers.

You'll have difficulties getting one for free though.

Thats the one I just bought, should be here in the next few days.

There's a mistake in the setup instructions/e-mails given by BT that might
give you some grief.

On page 16 where it tells you to enter your username make sure you enter
your network ID instead.

Other than that it's a doddle and you don't need to install the customised
BTYahoo software unless of course you specifically want to.

It's extremely secure but don't forget that the hardware firewall only
protects against unrequested incoming traffic. You'll need to keep a
software firewall running as well to protect against any unauthorised
internal requests (as a result of trojans etc that manage to get past your
anti-virus software etc).

I've had mine up and running for about six weeks or so without any problems
and have updated it to the latest firmware.

Stephen

Old September 9th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message
There's a mistake in the setup instructions/e-mails given by BT that might
give you some grief.

On page 16 where it tells you to enter your username make sure you enter
your network ID instead.

Other than that it's a doddle and you don't need to install the customised
BTYahoo software unless of course you specifically want to.

It's extremely secure but don't forget that the hardware firewall only
protects against unrequested incoming traffic. You'll need to keep a
software firewall running as well to protect against any unauthorised
internal requests (as a result of trojans etc that manage to get past your
anti-virus software etc).

I've had mine up and running for about six weeks or so without any problems
and have updated it to the latest firmware.

Thanks for that. the email from BT has actually mentioned to use the network
id.. the one with HG1 in it.
Actually maybe you could help with something. I have been trying to find this
out but to no avail. I won't be using this router for xbox live until I get a
hub. Does this router allow for file and printer sharing? I really wanted this
but I have a feeling it won't.

Old September 9th 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Agustin

Thurs, 09 Sep 2004 09:51:44 +0000, Beck wrote:

Thanks for that. the email from BT has actually mentioned to use the
network id.. the one with HG1 in it.
Actually maybe you could help with something. I have been trying to
find this out but to no avail. I won't be using this router for xbox
live until I get a hub. Does this router allow for file and printer
sharing? I really wanted this but I have a feeling it won't.

Hi,
This is the router I use on my XP/W98/Linux system and it works a dream.
Under Linux, with Samba enabled, I've been able to access
files/folders/peripherals on all my other machines (only two ), so I'm
sure that with Windows this will work.

Regards,

Agustin
Old September 9th 04, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Beck" wrote in message

Thanks for that. the email from BT has actually mentioned to use the
network
id.. the one with HG1 in it.

They must have corrected this. I can imagine the number of support phone
calls the e-mail I got would have generated with people adamant that they'd
followed the instructions to the letter.

Actually maybe you could help with something. I have been trying to find
this
out but to no avail. I won't be using this router for xbox live until I
get a
hub. Does this router allow for file and printer sharing? I really
wanted this
but I have a feeling it won't.

Not as far as I am aware. You'd be better waiting for your hub to arrive and
leaving your printers connected as they are in the interim.

Check out the following link for all the latest downloads including the full
manual if you want to find out more detail.

http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/530.asp

Bear in mind though that this relates to the latest 4.2.7 firmware so there
may be subtle differences.

Stephen