DNS

Old September 9th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Default DNS

Wombat wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 05:01:46 +0100, Andy M Jenkins
wrote:

dns-01.ns.aol.com (152.163.159.232)
dns-02.ns.aol.com (205.188.157.232)

Thanks Andy I am trying to run a mailserver on the AOL machine and
without the correct dns the server software " Mdamon" just will not
work .
I am not into a lot of the internet technicalities tell me how DO you
do a nameserver look up ?

Probably easiest to just do a nslookup from a windows machine.

eg ..

C:\Documents and Settings\Andynslookup
Default Server: ns7.bt.net
Address: 194.74.65.69

set type=ns
aol.co.uk

Server: ns7.bt.net
Address: 194.74.65.69

Non-authoritative answer:
aol.co.uk nameserver = dns-01.ns.aol.com
aol.co.uk nameserver = dns-02.ns.aol.com

dns-02.ns.aol.com internet address = 205.188.157.232
dns-01.ns.aol.com internet address = 152.163.159.232

hth

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins