What happens when router/modem powered down?

Old September 9th 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

Default What happens when router/modem powered down?

What happens when a router/modem is deliberately powered down, for instance
to move within house. Are all settings saved? Should connection resume
without problems when powered up again?

TIA,
Terry
Old September 9th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Terrycymru" wrote in message
What happens when a router/modem is deliberately powered down, for

instance
to move within house. Are all settings saved? Should connection resume
without problems when powered up again?

TIA,
Terry

Yup all will be fine, the Router has a "flash" memory that can only be
overwitten by a firmware upgrade or a massive strike of lightning.

hth

Ronny

to be on the safe side most routers give you the ability to "download" the
settings as a txt file so you can easily upload them again should it fail

Old September 9th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Terrycymru wrote:

What happens when a router/modem is deliberately powered down, for instance
to move within house. Are all settings saved? Should connection resume
without problems when powered up again?

Those that have settings stored on the connection device itself should
save the config, yes.

Most (all?) USB modems will have no config user configurable - hence
there's nothing that you've configed too loose.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old September 10th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

Thanks, Ronny and Andy. That's what I expected but needed confirmation
In that case, is there any reason to leave power on if I leave home for a
few days or longer?

TIA,
Terry
Old September 10th 04, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Terrycymru wrote:
Thanks, Ronny and Andy. That's what I expected but needed confirmation
In that case, is there any reason to leave power on if I leave home for a
few days or longer?

Not unless theres a requirement for the PC to be turned on and able to
access the internet, no.

I recently went on holiday for just over 2 weeks and powered down my
Vigor2600G. Came back, powered it up and away I went.