Tesco.net ADSL ?

Old September 9th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael turner

Default Tesco.net ADSL ?

Presently on Virgin 24/7 dial-up, looking to go broadband mainly for MP3
downloads from allofmp3.com.

Now the best deal at the moment to me at the moment appears to be
Tesco.net ADSL, which is 19.95pm 512kbps, no usage caps... unless anyone
knows otherwise.

Questions a

Are they any good as an ISP ?
What about service reliability etc. ?

TIA.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

Old September 9th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 09 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, michael turner wrote:

Questions a

The same as found in recent threads. http://groups.google.com/

Just out of interest, how many hours of experience with Tesco.Net do
you want ? It seems like there may be someone with under 48 hours
(which is difficult to judge overall reliability on). Peter M
Old September 9th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael turner

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:25:23 +0100, poster wrote:

On 09 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, michael turner wrote:

Questions a

The same as found in recent threads. http://groups.google.com/

Thanks. Looks like there's no real overall problems.

Just out of interest, how many hours of experience with Tesco.Net do
you want ?

I tend to leave the computer on 24/7, so an 'always on' reliable
connection would be desirable. And the main usage is going to be
downloading music from allofmp3.com.... which I already use, but is quite
slow on the current dial-up.

It seems like there may be someone with under 48 hours
(which is difficult to judge overall reliability on). Peter M

Looks like Tesco.net is mainly provided by NTL, same as my existing
dial-up ISP(Virgin). Which I've been reasonably happy with, apart from
their news-servers.... these I don't use.

Anyway I've just signed up for Tesco.net ADSL. :-)

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

Old September 9th 04, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Wagstaff

V21 has reduced its ADSL from 19.99 to 16.99. 512/256, no caps, monthly
deal, use your own equipment or buy theirs, now v cheap, see site for
details. Also offering 1mg and 2mg systems. Been with em for years v happy.

news

Old September 9th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:05:22 +0100, michael turner wrote:

Now the best deal at the moment to me at the moment appears to be
Tesco.net ADSL, which is 19.95pm 512kbps, no usage caps... unless anyone
knows otherwise.

Questions a

Are they any good as an ISP ?
What about service reliability etc. ?

judging by their web site - which won't even give you information about
their adsl service if you're using a linux system (how pathetic!!!), i'd
say they're crap. they certainly don't appear to have a clue, anyway!

just cos you're looking at their web site with a linux system doesn't mean
you're intending to use the adsl with a linux system anyway! and why on
earth would anyone with half an ounce of business sense refuse to sell
their product to people according to what system they use. i can
understand not *supporting* it - but telling people who do know what
they're doing and don't need support that you don't want their money is
ridiculous!

i was considering switching to them, but i definitely won't even consider
it again!

will

Old September 9th 04, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob J

"michael turner" wrote in message
news
Looks like Tesco.net is mainly provided by NTL, same as my existing
dial-up ISP(Virgin). Which I've been reasonably happy with, apart from
their news-servers.... these I don't use.

Anyway I've just signed up for Tesco.net ADSL. :-)

From what I gather, whilst the Tesco and Virgin services both effectively
use NTL as their ISP, Virgin.net customers use the BT IP stream product and
Tesco.net customers are being connected to NTL's new data stream network. Be
careful about comparing the two products as they may be very different
(although the news servers for both will be equally rubbish - that's
guaranteed!!)

Old October 20th 04, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark sayers

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/broadbandaccess/ 1Mb broadband is still
17.99 pm with 2gb download bandwidth. Regards Mark