Pipex 1mb?

Old September 10th 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

Default Pipex 1mb?

Been thinking about upgrading to 1mb, so I checked the Pipex Site,
entered my phone number and it said that I couldn't get broadband at
all, of any speed. Which is odd, because I've had 512k from Pipex for
the last 2.5 years.

Is it worth persuing it any further or am I wasting my time? If I
attempt to order and the tests fails would I lose my 512k service?
--
Sean Black
Old September 10th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , ICUKNet
Support writes

From 6th September, any user who had 512K access should now be able to
receive 1MB.

That's a sweeping statement of aspiration over reality, in my albeit
limited experience.
Of the two principal lines into our offices, both now check out as Red
for 1Mbps, despite the fact that both were OK for 512bps before the
checker change. (And indeed the one we're presently using for 512kpbs
was manually checked by BT at 58db, but now checks out as amber (75db?)
at 512kbps on the (software) checker!).

Leslie Costar
ICUK Computing Services Limited
http://www.icuknet.co.uk
ADSL, Dial Up, Hosting

--
robert w hall
Old September 10th 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

Been thinking about upgrading to 1mb, so I checked the Pipex Site,
entered my phone number and it said that I couldn't get broadband at
all, of any speed. Which is odd, because I've had 512k from Pipex for
the last 2.5 years.

If you already have ADSL, this often causes the checkers to say you can't
get it at all (because you already have it, so you can't get it again). But
yes, since the new 1 Mb limit is the same as the old 512 Kb limit, you
shouldn't have any problems upgrading.

Old September 10th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Chris Jones wrote:
Been thinking about upgrading to 1mb, so I checked the Pipex Site,
entered my phone number and it said that I couldn't get broadband
at all, of any speed. Which is odd, because I've had 512k from
Pipex for the last 2.5 years.

If you already have ADSL, this often causes the checkers to say you
can't get it at all (because you already have it, so you can't get
it again). But yes, since the new 1 Mb limit is the same as the old
512 Kb limit, you shouldn't have any problems upgrading.

What most of you are forgetting, well it's 2 things really....

A) The line checker was borked in the first place so many end users actually
got service when they were outside the specified limts (60db), but it worked
(unofficially the policy was if it worked you left it in). These user will
not be able to upgrade as they are outside the 60db line loss limit.

B) The 'new' line checker is even more borked than the last, hence the
contradictory results. It may pay to contact your ISP anyway as they may be
able to actually remote test your line to get a truer result, but then again
most of them don't seem to understand the results they do get so don't hold
your breath but you may be lucky..

Old September 10th 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RChick

"Kráftéé" wrote in message
Chris Jones wrote:
[...]

I for one am having trouble in upgrading to 1Meg I have had 512Kb for 2 1/2
years but the checker tells me I am to far from the exchange for 1Meg. I
have phoned and written to BT Yahoo and BT Wholesale and so far have no
success in being able to apply for an upgrade.