Networking From ADSL USB

Old September 10th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

Default Networking From ADSL USB

Hi,

I'm not really an ip man so you might have to stay with me a bit on this.

I have a desktop with an adsl 512 usb speedtouch modem (stingray type). I
also have a works laptop. Is there anyway I can use my share the adsl
connection with my laptop or any other machines. I also have a 5 port switch
if needed.

TIA

Matt

Old September 10th 04, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JK

Matt wrote:
Hi,

I'm not really an ip man so you might have to stay with me a bit on this.

I have a desktop with an adsl 512 usb speedtouch modem (stingray type). I
also have a works laptop. Is there anyway I can use my share the adsl
connection with my laptop or any other machines. I also have a 5 port switch
if needed.

TIA

Matt

Yes. If you're running WinXP it's quite easy, look up internet
connection sharing (ICS) in Help.

In terms of wires, you would plug the modem into the machine you want to
be the "server", which I would imagine to be the desktop. Then connect
the switch to the lan port on the desktop and the laptop to one of the
lan ports on the switch. There will be a particular port on the switch
perhaps marked WAN which is the one you should connect to the server.

Then run the ICS wizard and it *should go smoothly. You will always need
to have the server on when you want the laptop to access the net.

John
Got a spare GMail invite? I don't have one and I'd like to try it.
c h ee s bike @ y ah o o (dot) c o (dot) u k
Old September 10th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 10 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Matt" wrote:

Is there anyway I can use share the adsl connection with my laptop or
any other machines. I also have a 5 port switch if needed.

On the guess that you have Windows, then yes, using ICS (Internet
Connection Sharing) - which would make use of a network card on the
PC with the USB ADSL link - into the switch and then to any other PCs
(or with a cross-over direct to the laptop).

So the short answer was 'yes' (use this NG or uk.comp.home-networking
when you have further questions about setting it up ! :-)

However, many here would say that a router with ADSL modem in it would
be a better option - for a start it would mean you could have the Laptop
online without the PC running, and the router would block many types of
hacker attack that currently reach your PC/USB and get stopped by your
firewall software. Routers these days are quite inexpensive, and will
auto-sense what the speed of your PC is and whether you are using a
cross-over or straight patch cable.
Old September 10th 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matt

"poster" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your help. I have a fairly old BT integrated router and hub (4
port) that they used to fit for adsl networking but was under the impression
I could only use this with a static ip address. Am I wrong? Can this be
used?

Old September 11th 04, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:32:14 +0100, "Matt"
wrote:

was under the impression
I could only use this with a static ip address. Am I wrong? Can this be
used?

yes, the IP address is a config or PPP negotiation issue not specific
to the hardware.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old September 11th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 10 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Matt" wrote:

Can this be used?

possibly - there were threads about the (?) EN5861 some time ago, as
I think it was 'locked' for BT only to configure. Should work fine
if you can get into it :-)