Netgear DG834G v1.05 Firewall Rules Bug?

Old September 10th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Netgear DG834G v1.05 Firewall Rules Bug?

I've had a DG834G running happily on it's original v1.03 code for several
months. One of the firewall rules I'd set up was an inbound rule that
basically duplicated the default inbound rule but logged the inbound
attempts (ie. the rule was Block Any(All) for All LAN address from All WAN
address with log on Match - the default rule is the same but with log on
Never). This worked absolutely fine with v1.03.

On upgrading to v1.05 I couldn't get any outbound traffic to work (eg. no
web browsing, newsgroup reading, email pick-up, etc.).

After 2 hours of head scratching checking everything I tracked it down to my
INBOUND rule (incidentally, its the only Inbound rule I have). For some
reason since upgrading to v1.05 this Inbound rule blocks all my Outbound
traffic. If I disable the rule (just untick the box) the router works as it
used to and I can browse, collect mail, etc. Re-enable this Inbound rule and
nothing works.

Surely this must be a bug?

If it is, does anyone know how to report it to Netgear?

Many thanks, David

Old September 10th 04, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:36:15 +0100, "David" wrote:

I've had a DG834G running happily on it's original v1.03 code for several
months. One of the firewall rules I'd set up was an inbound rule that
basically duplicated the default inbound rule but logged the inbound
attempts (ie. the rule was Block Any(All) for All LAN address from All WAN
address with log on Match - the default rule is the same but with log on
Never). This worked absolutely fine with v1.03.

I must be missing something, but why not just enable logging on the
default inbound rule?!

Regardless, I expect an email to / co.uk would do
the trick.
Old September 10th 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jon

"Richard Sobey" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:36:15 +0100, "David" wrote:

I've had a DG834G running happily on it's original v1.03 code for several
months. One of the firewall rules I'd set up was an inbound rule that
basically duplicated the default inbound rule but logged the inbound
attempts (ie. the rule was Block Any(All) for All LAN address from All
WAN
address with log on Match - the default rule is the same but with log on
Never). This worked absolutely fine with v1.03.

I must be missing something, but why not just enable logging on the
default inbound rule?!

Regardless, I expect an email to / co.uk would do
the trick.

Snap - i found exactly the same thing.

I emailed netgear support, and was promptly told it wasnt a bug - its a
feature

And you cannot enable logging on the default inbound rule .....

I think that its logged by default, in so much that any unrequested packets
are classed
as DOS (ummm) and appear in the log anyway.

Old September 10th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

jon wrote:
[...]

Which rapidly fills up the buffer causing the router to reboot, well it did
mine until I put the machine causing the traffic into the DMZ

Old September 11th 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Richard Sobey" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:36:15 +0100, "David" wrote:

I've had a DG834G running happily on it's original v1.03 code for several
months. One of the firewall rules I'd set up was an inbound rule that
basically duplicated the default inbound rule but logged the inbound
attempts (ie. the rule was Block Any(All) for All LAN address from All

WAN
address with log on Match - the default rule is the same but with log on
Never). This worked absolutely fine with v1.03.

I must be missing something, but why not just enable logging on the
default inbound rule?!

Regardless, I expect an email to / co.uk would do
the trick.

Unfortunately, the default rules are not editable, so the only way around it
is to create a new rule.

Thanks, David