ADSL enabled, can't connect to plusnet!

Old September 10th 04, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Miffed

Default ADSL enabled, can't connect to plusnet!

The light stopped blinking on my modem half an hour ago, and all systems are
go...

Except my login details aren't being verified. I know they're right cos
I've used the same ones to log into my new email account.

In the sign up bumph it said I would get an email confirmation after
activation (still waiting), but I assume this is nothing more than
confirmation. Or do plusnet have to do something at their end as well?

And just to rub salt in, I can't get a dial-up connection better than
26kbit/s anymore!

While I'm here, anyone know the details for usenet on plusnet? It's not
mentioned with all the pop3 stuff I printed out, and I've tried about 4
variations with no luck

Old September 10th 04, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mutley

"Miffed" wrote in message
The light stopped blinking on my modem half an hour ago, and all systems

are
go...

Except my login details aren't being verified. I know they're right cos
I've used the same ones to log into my new email account.

In the sign up bumph it said I would get an email confirmation after
activation (still waiting), but I assume this is nothing more than
confirmation. Or do plusnet have to do something at their end as well?

And just to rub salt in, I can't get a dial-up connection better than
26kbit/s anymore!

While I'm here, anyone know the details for usenet on plusnet? It's not
mentioned with all the pop3 stuff I printed out, and I've tried about 4
variations with no luck

Try again after 5pm... it should work by then

Old September 10th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Miffed" wrote in message
The light stopped blinking on my modem half an hour ago, and all systems
are
go...

Except my login details aren't being verified. I know they're right cos
I've used the same ones to log into my new email account.

In the sign up bumph it said I would get an email confirmation after
activation (still waiting), but I assume this is nothing more than
confirmation. Or do plusnet have to do something at their end as well?

Try loggin on with your correct details, then Wait 30 minutes and try it
again. This should automatically kick plusnet's systems into enabling your
account. If not raise a ticket and tell them your line is in sunc.

Old September 10th 04, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Grayson

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:14:54 +0100, "Miffed" wrote:

The light stopped blinking on my modem half an hour ago, and all systems are
go...

Except my login details aren't being verified. I know they're right cos
I've used the same ones to log into my new email account.

In the sign up bumph it said I would get an email confirmation after
activation (still waiting), but I assume this is nothing more than
confirmation. Or do plusnet have to do something at their end as well?

And just to rub salt in, I can't get a dial-up connection better than
26kbit/s anymore!

While I'm here, anyone know the details for usenet on plusnet? It's not
mentioned with all the pop3 stuff I printed out, and I've tried about 4
variations with no luck

The plusnet newsgroups (if that's what you are after) are plusnet.*
with plusnet.service.customer-feedback being the busiest.

I use plusnet, and the server I use for news is usenet.plus.net.

Can you log into the plusnet portal (www.plus.net) ? From there you
should be able to check the "broadband tracker" which will show the
status of your adsl order.

Regards,
Robin
Old September 10th 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Miffed

"Miffed" wrote in message
The light stopped blinking on my modem half an hour ago, and all systems

are
go...

Except my login details aren't being verified. I know they're right cos
I've used the same ones to log into my new email account.

In the sign up bumph it said I would get an email confirmation after
activation (still waiting), but I assume this is nothing more than
confirmation. Or do plusnet have to do something at their end as well?

And just to rub salt in, I can't get a dial-up connection better than
26kbit/s anymore!

While I'm here, anyone know the details for usenet on plusnet? It's not
mentioned with all the pop3 stuff I printed out, and I've tried about 4
variations with no luck

You'll all be fascinated to know that I'm now fully on line using adsl with
plusnet.

And all I wanted for the newsgroup access was news.plus.net

Only problem I have now is download speed. I've run the speedchecker at
plusnet quite a few times and have got results that vary between 280-ish and
416kbits/sec. That's not great is it? How reliable is this test? I can't
try the one at adslguide at the moment as I've been having trouble with
getting IE 6 to work with my java runtime installation.

I'm currently downloading a 150mb game demo and the speed is averaging at
about 45kb/sec, but has fluctuated between 33 and 55. I guess that says
more about the source(wherever it is) and the traffic between. I'll try to
find a specific uk-based file server for my next download to get a more
reliable figure.

And how do I check for line/signal loss? I have a speedtouch 330 usb modem.

Old September 10th 04, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Grayson

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:32:10 +0100, "Miffed" wrote:

I'm currently downloading a 150mb game demo and the speed is averaging at
about 45kb/sec, but has fluctuated between 33 and 55. I guess that says
more about the source(wherever it is) and the traffic between. I'll try to
find a specific uk-based file server for my next download to get a more
reliable figure.

Try downloading something sizeable from their batch-ftp site:
http://portal.plus.net/tools.html?action=batchftp
Old September 10th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

In article ,
says...

And how do I check for line/signal loss? I have a speedtouch 330 usb modem.

Line and signal loss do not lead to slow speeds, rather they normally
cause intermittent connection problems. You can check whether your
exchange is contended by visiting
http://usertools.plus.net and if you
want us to investigate this there is a speed problem reporting process
at http://cgi.support.plus.com.

You may also want to try tweaking your connection -
http://www.pengbo.dsl.pipex.com/ppages/tweaks.shtml

Regards,
--
+ ---- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---+
Old September 10th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Miffed

"Robin Grayson" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:32:10 +0100, "Miffed" wrote:

I'm currently downloading a 150mb game demo and the speed is averaging at
about 45kb/sec, but has fluctuated between 33 and 55. I guess that says
more about the source(wherever it is) and the traffic between. I'll try

find a specific uk-based file server for my next download to get a more
reliable figure.

Try downloading something sizeable from their batch-ftp site:
http://portal.plus.net/tools.html?action=batchftp

Just tried this with a 12mb file. Got an average of about 44kb/s. I'll try
some tweaks before I take it any further

Old September 10th 04, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Miffed" wrote in message

And how do I check for line/signal loss? I have a speedtouch 330 usb
modem.

You can't get those details using that USB modem.

Regards
Sunil

Old September 11th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Miffed wrote:
"Robin Grayson" wrote in message

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:32:10 +0100, "Miffed" wrote:

I'm currently downloading a 150mb game demo and the speed is averaging at
about 45kb/sec, but has fluctuated between 33 and 55. I guess that says
more about the source(wherever it is) and the traffic between. I'll try

find a specific uk-based file server for my next download to get a more
reliable figure.

Try downloading something sizeable from their batch-ftp site:
http://portal.plus.net/tools.html?action=batchftp

Just tried this with a 12mb file. Got an average of about 44kb/s. I'll try
some tweaks before I take it any further

Have you done a check on your system for spyware and viruses, you could
find some of your traffic is being used by backdoor programs. Also
shutdown anything that may be auto-updating itself (XP auto updates, AV
updates etc...). What OS are you using?

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."