Ethernet ADSL modem advice

Old September 10th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NicB

Default Ethernet ADSL modem advice

ayah

i wonder if anyone has any advice. i own a netgear wgr614 wireless
router, which worked really well with ntl broadband in my old house.
but i have moved and now i'm getting adsl. from what i've read most
ethernet adsl modems won't work with this router, because they act as
a router/nat themselves (that's my impression anyway). does anyone
have one of these routers and if so have they found any solutions?

alternatively the ethernet adsl modem can be placed in gateway mode
and connected to the router, giving the router a nat address from the
modem. has anyone done this and what are the implications? will i
still be able to run ssh sessions with the x-windowing system?

otherwise which adsl modem / wireless router combo to people
recommend?

thanks, sorry for wanting such detail.

nic
Old September 13th 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Stanley

"NicB" wrote in message
om...
ayah

i wonder if anyone has any advice. i own a netgear wgr614 wireless
router, which worked really well with ntl broadband in my old house.
but i have moved and now i'm getting adsl. from what i've read most
ethernet adsl modems won't work with this router, because they act as
a router/nat themselves (that's my impression anyway). does anyone
have one of these routers and if so have they found any solutions?

alternatively the ethernet adsl modem can be placed in gateway mode
and connected to the router, giving the router a nat address from the
modem. has anyone done this and what are the implications? will i
still be able to run ssh sessions with the x-windowing system?

otherwise which adsl modem / wireless router combo to people
recommend?

thanks, sorry for wanting such detail.

Ethernet modems are not that different to USB modems in function, if they
have router functions it is because they are combi models.

I use a Dlink DSL-300G+ and a wireless Buffalo G54 router. The Modem is
ethernet based and works as you say by passing the IP address to the router.
If you connect the modem directly to the network it will only work with one
Mac address that you register with it. The setup instructions are poor and
say to conenct it to a PC first which then stops it working with the router,
on phoning their help line they then said it wasn't design for routers.
Eventually it was sorted and I also needed a firmware update for the Buffalo
as it kept breaking the connection.

There are a number of ADSL modem + router + wireless models available now,
but the seperate versions will also have the advantage of being transferable
between cable and ADSL provider for less cost, and generally seem a little
better in terms of functionality, firewalls etc.

The only other choice of proper ethernet modem I know of is ADSL Nations
X-Modem.

As far as ssh is concerned you are using NAT, which works for me. I don't
know the details of the environment I use, but it seems to be pretty
standard.

--
Tony Stanley

Old September 14th 04, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NicB

thanks tony

just had a look at the adsl nation website. apparently the live ip
technology in th x modem ce isn't compatible with my router. so i
think i'll get rid of it and by a combo modem / router. i would prefer
seperates but they are about twice the price.

nic