Speedtouch 330 hangs PC during Boot

Old September 10th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Default Speedtouch 330 hangs PC during Boot

I have just installed a Speedtouch 330 on a Dell Dimension XPS R450 64mb
running Win 98 (not SE) with all updates applied.

If the Speedtouch is connected the PC hangs during the boot process after the
RED USB light and then the two green lights on the modem are displayed, and just
before the hour glass appears.

I am using the latest 301.0.0.12 driver just download from Speedtouch web site
(and as far as I
can tell the same as on the CD-ROM that came with the modem)

The only other USB device I have is my Olympus camera which is not connected.

If the modem is connected to the computer after the boot process has completed
it appears to work normally although at this stage the ADSL light just flashes
as most likely ADSL has not been enabled on my phone line (due next 14/1//04)

When the PC hangs disconnecting the modem allow the boot process to complete
normally.

Anyone any ideas how to solve this problem (Apart from acquiring a router. I was
considering a Speedtouch 510 but this experience has put me off Thomson
products.)

Michael Chare

Old September 10th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Anyone any ideas how to solve this problem (Apart from acquiring a
router. I was considering a Speedtouch 510 but this experience has
put me off Thomson products.)

USB is quite poor under W98 and in any case the modem is probably trying to
draw too much current. Getting a router is the best solution.

Old September 10th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Anyone any ideas how to solve this problem (Apart from acquiring a
router. I was considering a Speedtouch 510 but this experience has
put me off Thomson products.)

USB is quite poor under W98 and in any case the modem is probably trying to
draw too much current. Getting a router is the best solution.

Since by last message my line has now been activated and I can establish a
working connection. I did think that the fact that the line had not been
activated might be the cause of the problem, but I have since rebooted and this
is not the case.

Whilst I do intend to have a router I would like to be sure that an ADSL
connection will work properly as the loss on my line was above the previous BT
limits.

Michael Chare

Old September 11th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

If the computer hangs during boot up it's normally a driver problem, go to :
http://www.btopenworld.com/drivers

get the latest drivers although they may be the same as you have, uninstall
the current drivers, unplug modem from computer, reboot, install new
drivers, shut down computer, plug modem back in and the computer back on.

You say you have all the updates.

Do you have a patch for USB from Microsoft I know there was one for WIN98SE
but not sure if it was for 98 also, but worth a look.

Looks like it's SE only:

You could also get a ADSL PCI modem card, they are not expensive 10 - 15.

Good luck,