problem installing 530 ethernet win98

Old September 11th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default problem installing 530 ethernet win98

Trying to setup the router on windows 98. Router is already connected to XP via
usb.

I have installed network card on the pc, have enabled client for microsoft
newtorks and tcp/ip is installed to the network card.

When I installed the usb on the laptop I had to run setup.exe from the
speedtouch cd contents and then setup the router. But that is for usb only and
there seems to be no other setup program for ethernet connection. So I go
direct to router setup and it goes through the setup with "remark: initialising
tcp/ip" it gets to the end and fails.

XP made it so easy, but now on win98 (first edition) I am stuck and not sure how
to proceed. There is nothing in the manual about setting up the ethernet, only
the usb. I imagine this is because the ethernet is for xbox gaming and its
simply supposed to be plug and go.

One thing I did notice, is that when installing the network card it requested
the windows cd to install dhcp file but the cd failed to find it. Could this be
the problem? Can I set it to a particular ip address rather than using dhcp?

Old September 11th 04, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Beck" wrote in message
[...]

dhcp server file is not the only file missing. I tried to skip the file and
loads of files were not available on the windows 98 setup cd.
Dammit.

Old September 11th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"Beck" wrote in message
[...]

You can set a static ip if you like, from a quick read of the manual the
following
settings should work.

IP: 10.0.0.x (x can be a number from 1 to 254
but not 138)
Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.138
DNS: 10.0.0.138
(I normally set 194.72.9.34 as a 2nd dns server)

These settings are similiar to what i use at home, got a speedtouch pro
there.

Hope that helps

Andrew

Old September 11th 04, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Andrew" wrote in message

You can set a static ip if you like, from a quick read of the manual the
following
settings should work.

IP: 10.0.0.x (x can be a number from 1 to 254
but not 138)
Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.138
DNS: 10.0.0.138
(I normally set 194.72.9.34 as a 2nd dns server)

These settings are similiar to what i use at home, got a speedtouch pro
there.

Thanks but its not working. When I try and install the ethernet card it
requests the windows 98 cd but loads of files it wants are not on the cd so it
fails to install properly. With all these files missing I do not see how I can
setup the connection.