do I need to rent a BT phone line to have ADSL?

Old September 11th 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Makoque

Default do I need to rent a BT phone line to have ADSL?

I have both NTL and BT currently "wired" into my house, although I am
only subscribing to services using NTL at the mo.

Can I get ADSL on the BT line without having pay a line rental charge
does anybody know? Obviously I'llt have to pay BT something, and am
not expecting / trying to get Broadband for free!

Also, I don't expect to be living in this house in 1 years time, so
does anybody know if a broadband connection can be transferred to
another address, or would I have to pay either a cabcellation fee (any
idea how much this might be?) and then take out another years
contract?

Thanks, Alex.
Old September 11th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Alex Makoque" wrote in message

I have both NTL and BT currently "wired" into my house, although I am
only subscribing to services using NTL at the mo.

Can I get ADSL on the BT line without having pay a line rental charge
does anybody know? Obviously I'llt have to pay BT something, and am
not expecting / trying to get Broadband for free!

You need to pay BT line rental (min £10.50/month) as well.

ISP's can offer ADSL with you having to pay line rental - but it woudn't be
any cheaper so they don't..

Also, I don't expect to be living in this house in 1 years time, so
does anybody know if a broadband connection can be transferred to
another address, or would I have to pay either a cabcellation fee (any
idea how much this might be?) and then take out another years
contract?

Depends on the ISP.

BT Wholesale's contracts with ISPs are on a 1 month basis but each ISP has
its own minimum contract periods (1 month, 3 months, a year etc) and its own
rules on transferring your ADSL if you are moving home.

Regards
Sunil

Old September 11th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Makoque

"Sunil Sood" wrote:
[snip]

Thanks, Alex.