use modem pci slot for Ethernet connection ? Help connect 2 computers for BB Use

Old September 11th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

Default use modem pci slot for Ethernet connection ? Help connect 2 computers for BB Use

I want to connect 2 computers on the same desk when I get a BB
connection next week all being well

The main computer is "home made rescued from the tip" machine and Now
has aP3 850MHz CPU 384 MB Ram Two Hard drives and Intel 537 data
fax voice v92 modem. And a 3COM Ethernet link XL 10/100 PCI TX
NIC(3C905B-TX) Card which is not activated and was left in as I am
unsure how I can use it ? I have its MAC and Network IP address It is
running XPpro with Service pack 2 (installed today)

The other computer is a 5yr old Compaq PRESARIO 2292 which is a problem
because it is a "slim flat case" machine that has no room at all inside
to put anything else CAN I remove its modem and put in its place an
Ethernet card and link it to the other machine ?
It is running Win98 version4 AMD333MHz CPU 188MB memory 4GB HD
Supraexpress 561modem can I remove this ? as no networking bits are
installed
Helpful comment would be appreciated that would enable me IF POSSIBLE
to get the old unit running so my grand daughter can use it THANKS
--
Ronald Jones
Old September 11th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

"Ronald Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Yes If the modem is in a pci slot, cheapest option is remove the modem and
replace it with a NIC
ColinB

Old September 12th 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Ronald Jones wrote:

[...]

Yes, if the modem's in a PCI slot, you should be able to remove it and
install a NIC instead. However, at 5 years old, there's a *possibility* that
the modem's in an ISA slot instead. If so, you won't easily be able to buy a
new ISA NIC - but you might find a suitable second-hand one at a computer
fair.

How are you planning to connect to ADSL, and share the connection? There are
several possible ways of doing it.

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 12th 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin

If its not possible to fit a PCI NIC Card, you could get a (e.g.) Belkin USB
NIC adapter with XP o/s it just plugs and goes
but costs more than a PCI NIC
Colin

Old September 12th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Colin wrote:

If its not possible to fit a PCI NIC Card, you could get a (e.g.)
Belkin USB NIC adapter with XP o/s it just plugs and goes
but costs more than a PCI NIC
Colin

Except that the computer in question is a 5-year-old Compaq running W98 -
which may or may not have USB ports. If it has, will the Belkin adapter work
with W98?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 12th 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message
Colin wrote:

If its not possible to fit a PCI NIC Card, you could get a (e.g.)
Belkin USB NIC adapter with XP o/s it just plugs and goes
but costs more than a PCI NIC
Colin

Except that the computer in question is a 5-year-old Compaq running W98 -
which may or may not have USB ports. If it has, will the Belkin adapter work
with W98?

My Daewoo pc is about 7 years old running win98 and has 2 usb. Quite amazing
what they packed into this pc - 2 usb, 3 pci, 2 isa, 3 memory slots. Plus it is
still working after all these years with no upgrades. Its a shame Daewoo
stopped doing PC's as this one is definitely built to last.

Old September 12th 04, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:00:08 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
strung together this:

My Daewoo pc is about 7 years old running win98 and has 2 usb. Quite amazing
what they packed into this pc - 2 usb, 3 pci, 2 isa, 3 memory slots. Plus it is
still working after all these years with no upgrades. I

Other then the OS.....
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old September 12th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:48:50 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

Except that the computer in question is a 5-year-old Compaq running W98 -
which may or may not have USB ports. If it has, will the Belkin adapter work
with W98?

Yes, at least with 98SE. Whether the mobo supports it is more of an
issue (I guess you could put in a PCI USB card tho).

Old September 12th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

wrote:

Except that the computer in question is a 5-year-old Compaq running
W98 - which may or may not have USB ports. If it has, will the
Belkin adapter work with W98?

Yes, at least with 98SE. Whether the mobo supports it is more of an
issue (I guess you could put in a PCI USB card tho).

Ever had a feeling that you're going round in circles?

The OP wanted to replace an analog modem with a NIC in order to network this
computer and allow it to share an ADSL connection. Doubt was expressed as to
whether the slot vacated
by the modem would be PCI or ISA. Alternative ways of ways of providing a
NIC (including via USB) were discussed in case the slot was ISA and he
couldn't get a suitable NIC.

So, if he can't fit a PCI NIC, he *certainly* won't be able to fit a PCI USB
card + USB/NIC adapter . . .
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 13th 04, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Tiscali Tim
writes
Ronald Jones wrote:
Yes, if the modem's in a PCI slot, you should be able to remove it and
install a NIC instead. However, at 5 years old, there's a *possibility* that
the modem's in an ISA slot instead.

more like a certainty

If so, you won't easily be able to buy a
new ISA NIC

many of the smaller (ie NOT PC World) shops will still have 'a few round
the back'

- but you might find a suitable second-hand one at a computer
fair.

Or try MicroMart, or contact your local group (eg a Radio Amateur or
Linux User Group - the chaps in the Bristol LUG had a recent thread
where they had a boxful between them)

Failing all that, I think I've got a spare or 3

--
robert w hall