Pipex New News

Old September 12th 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Decal

Default Pipex New News

Whats your thought on this.........

http://www.pipexsupport.com/main/news_service.php

--
Cheers
Decal

Remove caps to reply.

Old September 12th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
?uzzled

"Decal" wrote in message
Whats your thought on this.........

http://www.pipexsupport.com/main/news_service.php

--
Cheers
Decal

Remove caps to reply.

When does this come into effect then ? I keep getting an 'error 502 access
denied by auth server' message using Agent.

Thanks

Old September 12th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
?uzzled

Oops, never mind. Worked it out now. The new service certainly seems faster.
Looks like Pipex is now complete.

Old September 12th 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

What is a good news reader? I have agent but it seems complicated to use!
I'm interested in download movies from the binaries.

Thanks

Dan

Old September 12th 04, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dunesea

I'm having trouble logging on to this

I've tried numerous variations
and so on

I cannot log onto the service.

Si

Old September 12th 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:18:53 +0100, "Decal"
wrote:

Whats your thought on this.........

http://www.pipexsupport.com/main/news_service.php

Not too sure about this point:

"Are headers counted in my downloads ... ?

Simple answer, Yes. Complicated answer, PIPEX have an ISP out sourcing
deal with Giganews and because of the way this works there is no way
for them to differentiate between your headers and article downloads.
It's the way Giganews do things and it just isn't possible to change
it apparently."

I have used Giganews before directly and they can and do differentiate
between headers and downloads. Are Pipex or Giganews pulling a fast
one here?
Old September 12th 04, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

wrote:

Whats your thought on this.........

http://www.pipexsupport.com/main/news_service.php

Using the stats from PowerGrab and NetMeter it looks like you get
about 25 KB/s per channel...
Old September 12th 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:40:08 +0100, Mugwump wrote:

In article , Dunesea said......

I'm having trouble logging on to this

I've tried numerous variations
and so on

I cannot log onto the service.

Si

try
(replace xtreme with xtreme2, xtreme3 etc. Note
no leading 'e' in xtreme) where ****** is your login e.g abcd99

Yep, I couldn't log in either - till I dug out my original Pipex
letter with the login on it!

Old September 12th 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

The login is and your usual password.

Note that there is no initial 'e' in 'xtreme'.

Old September 12th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:41:58 +0100, Mugwump wrote:

In article , Shevek
said......

wrote:

Whats your thought on this.........

http://www.pipexsupport.com/main/news_service.php

Not too sure about this point:

"Are headers counted in my downloads ... ?

Simple answer, Yes. Complicated answer, PIPEX have an ISP out sourcing
deal with Giganews and because of the way this works there is no way
for them to differentiate between your headers and article downloads.
It's the way Giganews do things and it just isn't possible to change
it apparently."

I have used Giganews before directly and they can and do differentiate
between headers and downloads. Are Pipex or Giganews pulling a fast
one here?

Giganews do for consumers, but not for ISP feeds so, No, nobody is
pulling a fast one. Giganews measure the total feed to Pipex and bill
accordingly.

That makes sense. Just wasn't explained that clearly in the Pipex
page.