ntl broadband

Old September 12th 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Default ntl broadband

Hi
My daughter is just about to have a 300k broadband + free phone package
installed from NTL. Can anyone tell me what the cable modem type will be
(ethernet or usb). She wants to network 2 PCs to the modem. I have ethernet
cards and router but of course these are useless if it's USB.

Steve Church

Old September 12th 04, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

steve church wrote:
Hi
My daughter is just about to have a 300k broadband + free phone
package installed from NTL. Can anyone tell me what the cable modem
type will be (ethernet or usb). She wants to network 2 PCs to the
modem. I have ethernet cards and router but of course these are
useless if it's USB.

Steve Church

Unless things have changed very recently the 'modem' will have both a USB &
a ethernet port, so you should have very little trouble...

Old September 12th 04, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"steve church" wrote in message
Hi
My daughter is just about to have a 300k broadband + free phone
package
installed from NTL. Can anyone tell me what the cable modem type will
be
(ethernet or usb). She wants to network 2 PCs to the modem. I have
ethernet
cards and router but of course these are useless if it's USB.

Steve Church

Comes with ethernet and usb as standard. Best to use the Ethernet
connection

Old September 12th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:57:25 +0000 (UTC), "Steve"
wrote:

"steve church" wrote in message
Hi
My daughter is just about to have a 300k broadband + free phone
package
installed from NTL. Can anyone tell me what the cable modem type will
be
(ethernet or usb). She wants to network 2 PCs to the modem. I have
ethernet
cards and router but of course these are useless if it's USB.

Steve Church

Comes with ethernet and usb as standard. Best to use the Ethernet
connection

Just to be sure, is the CAT5 cable between the modem and the PC
"straight through"?

David Bradley

Old September 12th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:

"steve church" wrote in message
Hi
My daughter is just about to have a 300k broadband + free phone
package
installed from NTL. Can anyone tell me what the cable modem type
will be
(ethernet or usb). She wants to network 2 PCs to the modem. I have
ethernet
cards and router but of course these are useless if it's USB.

Steve Church

Comes with ethernet and usb as standard. Best to use the Ethernet
connection

Just to be sure, is the CAT5 cable between the modem and the PC
"straight through"?

David Bradley

Use the one supplied with the 'modem'.

Old September 12th 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

wrote:

"steve church" wrote in message

Hi
My daughter is just about to have a 300k broadband + free phone
package
installed from NTL. Can anyone tell me what the cable modem type
will be
(ethernet or usb). She wants to network 2 PCs to the modem. I have
ethernet
cards and router but of course these are useless if it's USB.

Steve Church

Comes with ethernet and usb as standard. Best to use the Ethernet
connection

Just to be sure, is the CAT5 cable between the modem and the PC
"straight through"?

David Bradley

Use the one supplied with the 'modem'.

On most SACM installs i've seen - the NTL installer only leaves a usb
cable anyway. Any £5 cat5 cable from a high street store (spit)
should do the trick nicely though [or of course, cheaper if you buy
online ]
Old September 12th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:59:44 +0100, Martyn Dewar
wrote:

On most SACM installs i've seen - the NTL installer only leaves a usb
cable anyway.

FWIW the "pack" I was left contained the ethernet cable along with the
junk CD and 'user guide', tho he did ask if I wanted the cable.

Unless its very old, your router will autosense the direction and
X-over if needed.

Old September 13th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

Kráftéé wrote:

On most SACM installs i've seen - the NTL installer only leaves a usb
cable anyway. Any £5 cat5 cable from a high street store (spit)
should do the trick nicely though [or of course, cheaper if you buy
online ]

ISTR my NTL modem came with both cables but it was a while ago and I
can't remember.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old September 13th 04, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

I've got a reel of cat 5e cable, some connectors and a crimp tool so I hope
to be able to handle any ethernet cable issues. I just need to know if I
need straight through or crossed. I'm assuming straight for the PC to
router. Not sure about router to cable modem.

It sounds like other peoples experience is that both usb and ethernet are
catered for on the modem so I should be ok. Just as long as the engineer
knows how to install either type. (Do the engineers configure the users PC
and get them online?)

Regards,

Steve Church

Old September 13th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

steve church wrote:
I've got a reel of cat 5e cable, some connectors and a crimp tool
so I hope to be able to handle any ethernet cable issues. I just
need to know if I need straight through or crossed. I'm assuming
straight for the PC to router. Not sure about router to cable modem.

It sounds like other peoples experience is that both usb and
ethernet are catered for on the modem so I should be ok. Just as
long as the engineer knows how to install either type. (Do the
engineers configure the users PC and get them online?)

They are not insured to & the one who fitted mine (didn't do much as I had
run all the cables for him) was quite proud about the fact that he didn't
know anything about PC's