tiscali smtp

Old September 12th 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

Default tiscali smtp

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:00:11 +0100, jas strung
together this:

does tiscali offer smtp-auth for outgoing email?

i have a user with their own laptop coming from home who use tiscali at
home. they connect here to a clara broadband but dont want me to re-
configure their email to have both a tiscali sending account and clara
to choose from.

only option is to enable smtp-auth if tiscali accept that from the clara
connection, either that or tell the user to sod off!

I've got a couple of Tiscali email accounts and I've found that I
can't access their SMTP servers from anything other than a Tiscali
dial-up connection any more. It's not worth the hassle trying to send
mail from other ISP's through Tiscali as as it sometimes does work,
but usually doesn't.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old September 12th 04, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Makoque

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:40:21 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

I've got a couple of Tiscali email accounts and I've found that I
can't access their SMTP servers from anything other than a Tiscali
dial-up connection any more. It's not worth the hassle trying to send
mail from other ISP's through Tiscali as as it sometimes does work,
but usually doesn't.

I think you'lll probably find this to be the case with most ISP's. You
could maybe setup a Hotmail account, and set the return address to be
your Tiscali account. This way you can receive as normal from Tiscali,
and use the hotmail to post from.

Alex.
Old September 12th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe Soap

:

wrote:

I've got a couple of Tiscali email accounts and I've found that I
can't access their SMTP servers from anything other than a Tiscali
dial-up connection any more. It's not worth the hassle trying to send
mail from other ISP's through Tiscali as as it sometimes does work, but
usually doesn't.

I think you'lll probably find this to be the case with most ISP's. You
could maybe setup a Hotmail account, and set the return address to be
your Tiscali account. This way you can receive as normal from Tiscali,
and use the hotmail to post from.

Any ISP's SMTP server that didn't impose that restriction would quickly be
blacklisted as a spam relay. Stop whingeing, and live in the real world.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
Old September 12th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:47:18 +0100, jas strung
together this:

smtp-auth lets the user send through any connection via their own isp's
server and solves all these problems. if they dont do it (i'll be
calling them from work tomorrow to confirm) then fair enough.

Theoretically, yes. But Tiscali don't seem to have got the hang of it
and have decided that anything outside of its own IP range is trying
to use it as a spam relay. It (Tiscalis SMTP server) sometimes lets
you send the first one or two emails through, then gives up and
blacklists you, (or at least that's what happened to me).
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old September 12th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

smtp-auth lets the user send through any connection via their own isp's
server and solves all these problems. if they dont do it (i'll be
calling them from work tomorrow to confirm) then fair enough.

Theoretically, yes. But Tiscali don't seem to have got the hang of it
and have decided that anything outside of its own IP range is trying
to use it as a spam relay. It (Tiscalis SMTP server) sometimes lets
you send the first one or two emails through, then gives up and
blacklists you, (or at least that's what happened to me).
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Come to think of it, at the end of last March my employer put Tiscali on
notice that he was cancelling his account. Almost immediately I noticed that
they started to issue IP's in a different range, and Tiscalis own NTTP and
SMTP servers did not talk to these addresses!
The help desk were useless (wanted to know what chipset the mobo was using!)
The only way I could send mail was to (reluctantly) install my own SMTP
server and protect it with a strong username and password. As I remember, it
was running successfully for a week or more until I got a different account
set up.