Before I take the plunge...

Old September 12th 04, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

Default Before I take the plunge...

...and buy one of these, any bouquets, brickbats or "you do realise it's half
that price at xyz.com"?

3Com ADSL Modem/Router+Firewall+AP+ Free 802.11g PCMCIA Card

Model No. 3CRWE754G72-A

77.54GBP delivered from Misco.

TIA.

Old September 12th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:21:20 +0100, "Grant" wrote:

..and buy one of these, any bouquets, brickbats or "you do realise it's half
that price at xyz.com"?

3Com ADSL Modem/Router+Firewall+AP+ Free 802.11g PCMCIA Card

Model No. 3CRWE754G72-A

77.54GBP delivered from Misco.

Well I took the plunge, and ordered the same thing on Friday night.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The calm confidence of a Christian with four Aces. - M.Twain

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old September 12th 04, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Grant wrote:

..and buy one of these, any bouquets, brickbats or "you do realise
it's half that price at xyz.com"?

3Com ADSL Modem/Router+Firewall+AP+ Free 802.11g PCMCIA Card

Model No. 3CRWE754G72-A

77.54GBP delivered from Misco.

TIA.

That's a hell of a lot less than I paid from Dabs a couple of months ago. Go
for it!

Then come back here when you try to get wireless security working!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 13th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Rodgers

"Grant" wrote in message
..and buy one of these, any bouquets, brickbats or "you do realise it's
half
that price at xyz.com"?

3Com ADSL Modem/Router+Firewall+AP+ Free 802.11g PCMCIA Card

Model No. 3CRWE754G72-A

77.54GBP delivered from Misco.

********. Just paid a total of 90 including 'Priority Delivery' from
Ebuyer.

Yes, ordered 11:00 on Friday but it still won't be shipped until today
despite paying extra. Nice.

Old September 13th 04, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:22:42 +0100, "Michael Rodgers"
wrote:

"Grant" wrote in message
..and buy one of these, any bouquets, brickbats or "you do realise it's
half
that price at xyz.com"?

3Com ADSL Modem/Router+Firewall+AP+ Free 802.11g PCMCIA Card

Model No. 3CRWE754G72-A

77.54GBP delivered from Misco.

********. Just paid a total of 90 including 'Priority Delivery' from
Ebuyer.

Yes, ordered 11:00 on Friday but it still won't be shipped until today
despite paying extra. Nice.

I ordered the one above from misco early Saturday morning, and it will
be delivered tomorrow. With free delivery.

I should have ordered about 8 hours earlier, then I'd have received it
today, but I didn't know until I got the email from plusnet this
afternoon that my line would be activated today.

Old September 14th 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NicB

other than the price is the 3com router any good?

are there any obvious problems with it?

thanks

nic
Old September 14th 04, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

NicB wrote:

other than the price is the 3com router any good?

are there any obvious problems with it?

thanks

nic

It's a good device, and got highly rated in a recent PCPlus road test.

It works straight out of the box with a minimum of effort - web interface
for setting up ADSL account logon details etc. It's fairly easy, using the
bundled PCMCIA card, to get a laptop to talk to it wirelessly - in the
default "no security" mode.

The fun starts when you try to set up security on the wireless connection.
Although the router and card are from the same stable, and sold as a bundle,
they seem to have been produced by different design teams, who didn't talk
to each other! The result is that documentation supplied with the two
products uses different terminology to describe the same thing!

The information supplied with the card tells you that, if you wish to use
WPA encryption (which is supported by the router, and more powerful than
WEP) you have to download an update for Windows XP. What it *doesn't* tell
you is that you *still* can't use the 3Com user interface to set up WPA -
you have to dive into Windows Network setup!

Once you've sorted all that, it's fine!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 14th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in message

Once you've sorted all that, it's fine!

Thanks very much for the heads up

Old September 14th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
danny

Grant wrote:
..and buy one of these, any bouquets, brickbats or "you do realise it's half
that price at xyz.com"?

3Com ADSL Modem/Router+Firewall+AP+ Free 802.11g PCMCIA Card

Model No. 3CRWE754G72-A

77.54GBP delivered from Misco.

TIA.

Thanks for the heads-up! Since I'm upgrading to 1mb BT I assume this
router/modem is compatible? Hope so, since I've just ordered the kit
to replace the Alcatel frog

As a dumb person, could someone explain how it connects to my PC? I
assume through a network port (which my motherboard appears to have
built in) - is this correct?

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply