ntl router

Old September 12th 04, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
taquitto

Default ntl router

hello

I have a ntl cable modem at the moment for me broadband. I want to
share my conexion with me housemates, which modem do you advise me to
buy? which characteristcs has it to have. I dont have hub or switch.

thanks
Old September 12th 04, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Krft

taquitto wrote:
hello

I have a ntl cable modem at the moment for me broadband. I want to
share my conexion with me housemates, which modem do you advise me
to buy? which characteristcs has it to have. I dont have hub or
switch.

thanks

You don't buy a modem, don't think you can get them even if you tried but I
may be wrong (I often am ;-) ).

You need to buy a cable/dsl router, these normally come with 4 ethernet
ports (& sometimes with a inbuilt wireless capabitlity) & a Wan port for
connecting to your cable modem, but I have known them to have as many as 8
(such as the Netgear RO318).

The one thing you don't want to buy is a DSL router as this will be
specifically for ADSL as it will not have the WAN port & will have an
inbuilt DSL modem/interface in it's place.

So if it doesn't have cable on the box you don't want it, ok...

Old September 13th 04, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

snip
You need to buy a cable/dsl router
snip
The one thing you don't want to buy is a DSL router
snip

Get a grip Krft

(yes I know, its late!)

Graham.

Old September 13th 04, 04:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Graham" wrote:

You need to buy a cable/dsl router

The one thing you don't want to buy is a DSL router
Get a grip Krft (yes I know, its late!)

yes, and they're commonly marketed as "cable/dsl routers" which is
what he put. What the OP doesn't want is one with an ADSL Modem
fitted... it *is* late now, so maybe I should get off to bed
Old September 13th 04, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Krft

Graham wrote:
snip
You need to buy a cable/dsl router
snip
The one thing you don't want to buy is a DSL router
snip

Get a grip Krft

(yes I know, its late!)

Graham.

Suggest you get a grip, there is a world of difference between being
cable/dsl compatable & being just dsl compatable. But then again you most
probably know this & are just trying to score cheap points...