Anyone use firenet

Old September 13th 04, 02:54 AM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Anyone use firenet

http://www.firenet.uk.net
seems a good deal to me looking for opinions of the service from users of
their broadband service.

Old September 13th 04, 09:08 AM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Dave on 13/Sep/2004 02:54:

http://www.firenet.uk.net
seems a good deal to me looking for opinions of the service from users of
their broadband service.

No but their web site is poor which doesn't bode well for their service. They
fail to give any detail at all (that I can see) on their services.

I also couldn't see them on adslguide, have they been rated anywhere? How good
are their connections and peering, how fast are they, how reliable?

If you can't find these things out, I personally wouldn't touch them for the
sake of a couple of pounds per month.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Old September 13th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Julian Knight" ] wrote in message

No but their web site is poor which doesn't bode well for their service. They
fail to give any detail at all (that I can see) on their services.

I also couldn't see them on adslguide, have they been rated anywhere? How good
are their connections and peering, how fast are they, how reliable?

If you can't find these things out, I personally wouldn't touch them for the
sake of a couple of pounds per month.

I like their terms and conditions. They are set out in an easy to understand
format. Then they give them to you in the legal speak format. I wish more isps
would do that.

Their best term is the following... "When calling technical support you must at
all times try to ensure that the person we are speaking to is, at least
comfortable with helping us over the phone and have a basic understanding of how
to work a computer."

The website is not bad really. They do give information about the service's
they provide and they are clear that there is a 50 activation fee. Depends on
what information the person is looking for.

Old September 13th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Dave" wrote in message
http://www.firenet.uk.net
seems a good deal to me looking for opinions of the service from users of
their broadband service.

Its a 50 setup fee. There are many companies around that will setup for free
and are known to be a good service.

Old September 13th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Beck on 13/Sep/2004 09:50:

[...]

Where are the details? What services, if any, are provided with web hosting
(php? perl? mysql? email? cron? shell access? ....), what kind of email setup
comes with the ADSL (smpt? POP3 only? unlimited accounts? certain number? What
about newsgroups -- are binary groups hosted, how many days worth, etc.)

It would be foolish to buy their services without understanding some of the
answers to these questions.

Old September 13th 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Beck on 13/Sep/2004 09:51:

"Dave" wrote in message

http://www.firenet.uk.net
seems a good deal to me looking for opinions of the service from users of
their broadband service.

Its a 50 setup fee. There are many companies around that will setup for free
and are known to be a good service.

This is the standard setup fee that BT charges ALL ISP's. Some chose to hide it
in other costs, most waive it if you sign up for at least 12 months.

Old September 13th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Julian Knight" ] wrote in message
From Beck on 13/Sep/2004 09:51:

"Dave" wrote in message

http://www.firenet.uk.net
seems a good deal to me looking for opinions of the service from users of
their broadband service.

Its a 50 setup fee. There are many companies around that will setup for

free
and are known to be a good service.

This is the standard setup fee that BT charges ALL ISP's. Some chose to hide

it
in other costs, most waive it if you sign up for at least 12 months.

Yeah I know, but isn't it better to choose a company that is willing to swallow
the costs?

Old September 13th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Julian Knight" ] wrote in message

Where are the details? What services, if any, are provided with web hosting
(php? perl? mysql? email? cron? shell access? ....), what kind of email setup
comes with the ADSL (smpt? POP3 only? unlimited accounts? certain number? What
about newsgroups -- are binary groups hosted, how many days worth, etc.)

Most users probably do not care about php, perl, mysql, etc. If people want
those services its unlikely they will get them from a budget isp.
Email includes pop and webmail. They even provide email settings for outlook
express, shock horror. :-)

Old September 13th 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Sep 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Yeah I know, but isn't it better to choose a company that is
willing to swallow the costs?

Ask yourself how they swallow those costs and compare services again.

For an extra (say) fiver a month, your ISP might pay the 50 +VAT, when
mine made a charge. At the end of year two, you are still paying that
extra fiver a month, so you've paid not one setup fee, but more than a
setup fee each year...

If the prices are identical, then there may be a feature on one account
but not on the other. I only learned that Pipex has a download limit
on the news server, for example - a nuisance for a few users... the
only other other service I knew of with a limit was FreeUK (at 22.99)
seemingly a 'cut-down' copy of Claranet's service (hardly surprising)

The Pipex thing makes a difference, perhaps, if one compares Pipex and
Plus.Net and one may end up paying a commercial news service for traffic
in excess of the Pipex limit, or pay for additional quota from Pipex
Old September 13th 04, 07:55 PM posted to free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Julian Knight" ] wrote in message
From Dave on 13/Sep/2004 02:54:

http://www.firenet.uk.net
seems a good deal to me looking for opinions of the service from users

of
their broadband service.

No but their web site is poor which doesn't bode well for their service.

They
fail to give any detail at all (that I can see) on their services.

Are you looking at the same site?? It has everything you need to know,
including set-up details for things like email and news, heck they even
show how to do it on a Mac.

I also couldn't see them on adslguide, have they been rated anywhere? How

good

That doesnt mean much, ADSLGUIDE dont really have that many providers
listed. Yes they have resonably good reviews on ispreview and a couple of
other more minor sites

are their connections and peering, how fast are they, how reliable?

Thats why i asked for opinions from users of the service, to see how
reliable it is.

If you can't find these things out, I personally wouldn't touch them for

the
sake of a couple of pounds per month.

Ah a big price makes good service believer eh?