Managed connection

Old September 13th 04, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Default Managed connection

I am trying to sort out a conversion from ISDN to Broadband. As I
understood it some ISP's can do this through BT and I thought that if it
did not work then there would be no cost and it would be converted back.
I spoke to PlusNet today and they told me although there would be no
charge from themselves there would be a charge from BT of about 50.

Is this correct. I can't actually work out what the cost is going to be.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 13th 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

David G wrote:

I am trying to sort out a conversion from ISDN to Broadband. As I
understood it some ISP's can do this through BT and I thought that if it
did not work then there would be no cost and it would be converted back.
I spoke to PlusNet today and they told me although there would be no
charge from themselves there would be a charge from BT of about 50.

Is this correct. I can't actually work out what the cost is going to be.

BT charge a fixed fee to do the conversion, test it and if necessary
convert it back to ISDN all in one engineer visit. If you sign up to BT
Broadband they waive the fee but for all other providers you pay the
money to BT through your phone bill. Personally I preferred not-BT
over saving 50. YMMV

Tony
Old September 13th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:22:06 +0100, David G uttered forth the
following...

I am trying to sort out a conversion from ISDN to Broadband. As I
understood it some ISP's can do this through BT and I thought that if it
did not work then there would be no cost and it would be converted back.
I spoke to PlusNet today and they told me although there would be no
charge from themselves there would be a charge from BT of about 50.

The 50 fee is the fee you pay to have the line converted back to
analogue, which is all a bit naughty on BT's behalf as there was
supposed to be no charge for cancelling/disconnecting HH. No way around
it tho I am afraid. PS I used PlusNet and had no problems.
Old September 13th 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Tony Raven wrote:

BT charge a fixed fee to do the conversion, test it and if necessary
convert it back to ISDN all in one engineer visit. If you sign up to BT
Broadband they waive the fee but for all other providers you pay the
money to BT through your phone bill. Personally I preferred not-BT
over saving 50. YMMV

Tony

Yes agree about BT - just not got all the right info yet.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 13th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David G [email protected] wrote:

I am trying to sort out a conversion from ISDN to Broadband. As I
understood it some ISP's can do this through BT and I thought that if
it did not work then there would be no cost and it would be converted
back. I spoke to PlusNet today and they told me although there would
be no charge from themselves there would be a charge from BT of about
50.

Is this correct. I can't actually work out what the cost is going to
be.

If the conversion is *successful*, such that the line passes the ADSL test,
you get billed 50 quid by BT for doing the conversion.

If the conversion is *not* successful - such that HH has to be re-instated,
my understanding is that there is then *no* charge. That's what I was told
by PlusNet before going down that route. Fortunately, mine *did* pass - so I
have no first-hand experience of the alternative.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 13th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Tiscali Tim wrote:

If the conversion is *successful*, such that the line passes the ADSL test,
you get billed 50 quid by BT for doing the conversion.

If the conversion is *not* successful - such that HH has to be re-instated,
my understanding is that there is then *no* charge. That's what I was told
by PlusNet before going down that route. Fortunately, mine *did* pass - so I
have no first-hand experience of the alternative.

That is how I understood it. Maybe if PlusNet are around they could comment.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old September 14th 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:26:04 +0100, David G [email protected]
wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:

If the conversion is *successful*, such that the line passes the ADSL test,
you get billed 50 quid by BT for doing the conversion.

If the conversion is *not* successful - such that HH has to be re-instated,
my understanding is that there is then *no* charge. That's what I was told
by PlusNet before going down that route. Fortunately, mine *did* pass - so I
have no first-hand experience of the alternative.

That is how I understood it. Maybe if PlusNet are around they could comment.

Hi there,

From our understanding (and this is a BT charge so will have to be
confirmed by them) BT will NOT charge the GBP50 ISDN fee if your line
cannot support ADSL and they have to put it back to ISDN.

kind regards

Luke
--
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+
Old September 14th 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 14 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, PlusNet Support wrote:

From our understanding (and this is a BT charge so will have to be
confirmed by them) BT will NOT charge the GBP50 ISDN fee if your
line cannot support ADSL and they have to put it back to ISDN.

So do they *only* charge one 50 quid fee, not 50 quid for this ISDN to
analogue conversion, and 50 quid for ADSL to be enabled, or do they
make both the charges, but one appears for the end-user for the ISDN
to analogue on a BT Bill and the other is from BTW to ISP and then
the ISP will charge the customer for that part ?

I'm assuming the latter, though it would not be totally surprising if
BT felt that as one would likely be paying for the ADSL for some
lengthy period, then the conversion could be done free...
(yes, wishful thinking :-)
Old September 14th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

poster wrote:

On 14 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, PlusNet Support wrote:

From our understanding (and this is a BT charge so will have to be
confirmed by them) BT will NOT charge the GBP50 ISDN fee if your
line cannot support ADSL and they have to put it back to ISDN.

So do they *only* charge one 50 quid fee, not 50 quid for this ISDN to
analogue conversion, and 50 quid for ADSL to be enabled, or do they
make both the charges, but one appears for the end-user for the ISDN
to analogue on a BT Bill and the other is from BTW to ISP and then
the ISP will charge the customer for that part ?

I'm assuming the latter, though it would not be totally surprising if
BT felt that as one would likely be paying for the ADSL for some
lengthy period, then the conversion could be done free...
(yes, wishful thinking :-)

My understanding is that they charge the end user for the HH to PSTN
conversion *and* the ISP for ADSL activation.

I certainly has to pay 50 quid to BT *and* the equivalent of an activation
charge to PlusNet (actually bundled into an "easy start" package). Unless
ISP's are profiteering from HH customers, they have to pay BT the same for
activating converted HH lines as for straight PSTN lines.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 14th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

poster wrote:

So do they *only* charge one 50 quid fee, not 50 quid for this ISDN to
analogue conversion, and 50 quid for ADSL to be enabled, or do they
make both the charges, but one appears for the end-user for the ISDN
to analogue on a BT Bill and the other is from BTW to ISP and then
the ISP will charge the customer for that part ?

I'm assuming the latter, though it would not be totally surprising if
BT felt that as one would likely be paying for the ADSL for some
lengthy period, then the conversion could be done free...
(yes, wishful thinking :-)

I have just signed up for ADSL and was told that if BT cannot convert
from ISDN to ADSL then they will convert it back and payment refunded,
or rather it would not appear on my bill. The ISP charge would also be
refunded.

It is too soon yet to know how many of us on the extended limit will
have a successful connection, so fingers crossed.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)