BT Broadband and Ethernet ADSL Modem

Old September 13th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gatecrasher

Default BT Broadband and Ethernet ADSL Modem

Currently have two PC connected by a crossover Cat5 cable with
Win98SE. Internet connection is not shared and each PC has an
external 56k modem connected to the same telephone line. Both PCs are
also connected to the same HP printer, one through parallel and the
other through usb.

In order to reduce the number of wires I've ordered an SMC7004ABR
router with print server and RS232 port for connection to a dial-up
modem. So the network will now be two PCs connected to the SMC router
with dial-up modem and printer connection.

It would seem the next logical step would be to go for BT Broadband
(other ISPs are not possible at the moment). My understanding, so
far, is that the supplied USB ADSL modem will not connect to the
router.

So, I take it, I need an ethernet ADSL modem. Can someone please
confirm that I am correct in this assumption and recommend any
suitable ethernet ADSL modems easily available from the internet or
high street. If I misunderstand all this stuff please do correct me
or highlight any potential problems in using BT Broadband on a wired
router.

Many thanks....

Gatecrasher
Old September 13th 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

"Gatecrasher" wrote in message
[...]

I think a simpler (and cheaper) solution would be to get a combined adsl
modem/router/switch (optionally with wireless for future use). You can get
such a device with a USB print server port (eg Draytek), but this puts the
price up quite a lot. Alternativley, with 2 PCs connected via a router you
could print from either PC as long as the PC with the printer physically
wired to it is switched on.

I'm not clear why you need an RS232 port other than back up if your ADSL
fails or perhaps to dial into a company server. Either way, why not just
keep the modem arrangement you've got?

Old September 13th 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

It would seem the next logical step would be to go for BT Broadband
(other ISPs are not possible at the moment).

Is there any particular reason why you can only use BT Broadband ?

Old September 13th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 13 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Colin Wilson wrote:

Is there any particular reason why you can only use BT Broadband ?

Ties into phone bill, so can be paid with cash / cheque / etc and is
perhaps more convenient if not using any plastic, or the whole phone
bill is met on expenses... Perhaps all wrong, but some ideas :-)
Old September 13th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:06:48 +0100, "DMG"
wrote:

"Gatecrasher" wrote in message
om...
In order to reduce the number of wires I've ordered an SMC7004ABR
router with print server and RS232 port for connection to a dial-up

snippage

So, I take it, I need an ethernet ADSL modem.

Correct.

I think a simpler (and cheaper) solution would be to get a combined adsl
modem/router/switch (optionally with wireless for future use).

Simpler, but more risky. If either modem or router dies, you have to
buy an entire new unit. If newer,faster, more secure wireless comes
along, again, new unit...

plus he already has a router.

Alternativley, with 2 PCs connected via a router you
could print from either PC as long as the PC with the printer physically
wired to it is switched on.

Yea, but thats quite a price to pay for losing functionality he now
has.

Old September 14th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"poster" wrote in message
On 13 Sep 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Colin Wilson wrote:

Is there any particular reason why you can only use BT Broadband ?

Ties into phone bill, so can be paid with cash / cheque / etc and is
perhaps more convenient if not using any plastic, or the whole phone
bill is met on expenses... Perhaps all wrong, but some ideas :-)

Be aware that BT Broadband does not offer some of the services that you might
normally get such as email!
Of course you can make your own arrangements.

Michael Chare

Old September 16th 04, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gatecrasher

Okay... I learnt a bit more about broadband and have had a nice chat
with a sales advisor at BT. The data capping has put me off although
I have no idea how much 15gb really is.

So now considering Pipex.

I've only found one adsl ethernet modem on sale at Ebuyer, Dabs,
Novatech. A D-Link 300T. Is this any good and will it play nicely
with my SMC7004ABR?

Cheers...