ADSL, WLAN + networked printer...

Old September 14th 04, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Stroller

Default ADSL, WLAN + networked printer...

Hihi,

I'm wondering if anyone out there can help advise on appropriate
components for a complete new home system. I've been asked to assist in
the replacement of an old Pentium 3 with a laptop and wireless router,
and the subject has come up of a colour printer. Since the laptop is to
be used around the house in a whole "digital lifestyle" way, it would
be ideal to have the printer in the upstairs office, next to the
router, with network printing enabled.

I have encountered a Draytek ADSL router which has a USB print-server
built-in, and it looks like the Vigor 2600G would do what's required.
Can anyone recommend a colour injet printer which is known to work with
the Vigor 2600+, or reccomend any alternatives to this unit..?

I have suggested a budget of 120 or so for the ADSL modem-router &
100 for a typical injet printer. How do all-in-one combined
printer-scanner-photocopier units play with the whole network
print-server thing..? Some of those come in at the 150 mark, and the
extra functionality would probably be appreciated.

I recently encountered an HP PSC 2510 combined
printer-scanner-photocopier which had wireless LAN built-in to the
unit. It was EXTREMELY impressive but it would seem overkill
considering that there's a space for the printer right next to the ADSL
router in the office. Besides, I'm not sure how the budget would feel
about that.

Many thanks for any advices or comments,

Stroller.

Old September 14th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
David Bradley

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:50:53 +0100, Stroller
wrote:

[...]

The Draytek 2600G USB printer port is just that; all in one devices
connected to it will lose must of their functionality.

While in theory any USB printer should work with the Draytek unit
there are some that flatey refuse to do so.

IMHO a network printer would be the best solution and as it is to be
placed next to the router, just hard wire it in; seems pointless using
54mbps when a sollid 100mbps is available which might be necessary
when sending large files to the printer. I would suggest that
whatever memeroy comes with the printer than double it.

Have used the HP PSC 2510 in several locations but it needs a whole
day to set up. The scanning interface is great when it works but is a
bit tempermental.

Your budget is a tad on the low side.

David Bradley
Old September 15th 04, 01:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your posting - it has given me stuff to think about.

It occurrs to me now that the Draytek ADSL modem-router is a fair chunk
more expensive than other wireless ADSL modem-routers, including my
current favorite, the Netgear DG834G. For the budget an 80 colour
injet & a USB print-server such as the Netgear PS121
http://netgear.co.uk/html/prod_print-servers.htm#ps121
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NGR-PS121U would
seem to do admirably. Canon have just released some fantastic-looking
sub-100 USB colour printers, their "Pixma" range, that print directly
upon CDs & DVDs & do duplexing, so I'll be taking a look at these (I
fancy one for myself!).

I didn't really mean in my previous posting to suggest the PSC 2510 for
this site - I was just *really* impressed by its featureset. It'd be
nice in an environment where the ADSL modem-router, fax-machine & PCs
must be positioned a separate rooms, but I can't see that being a
common requirement.

Stroller.