Wireless network drops ADSL connection

Old September 14th 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
snapper_five

Default Wireless network drops ADSL connection

Can anyone help me? I have a Netgear DG834G wireless adsl router which
I use with my own and my girlfriend's laptops. It was very easy to
configure and everything is hunky dory except that after a period of
inactivity, it drops the ADSL connection. It's still connected to the
wireless network, but I have to re-boot to re-connect to the ADSL
network. Same thing on both pcs, so I can't blame them. Any ideas?

Old September 14th 04, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

snapper_five wrote:

Can anyone help me? I have a Netgear DG834G wireless adsl router which
I use with my own and my girlfriend's laptops. It was very easy to
configure and everything is hunky dory except that after a period of
inactivity, it drops the ADSL connection. It's still connected to the
wireless network, but I have to re-boot to re-connect to the ADSL
network. Same thing on both pcs, so I can't blame them. Any ideas?

There should be something in the router config to set an "inactivity
timeout" value or somesuch.

Have a trawl through the setup dialogue - and set this to a very high value,
or look for a "never drop the connection" box or something similar. I'm not
familiar with this particular router, but they all have something like this.

[Apparently, there are some countries which have PAYG ADSL services - so the
routers have the ability to disconnect when not being used in order to save
money.]
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old September 14th 04, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Tiscali Tim wrote:

: There should be something in the router config to set an "inactivity
: timeout" value or somesuch.

: Have a trawl through the setup dialogue - and set this to a very high value,
: or look for a "never drop the connection" box or something similar. I'm not
: familiar with this particular router, but they all have something like this.

This setting exists on all Netgear routers and should be set to zero for no
inactivity timeout.
Old September 14th 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

Tiscali Tim wrote:

There should be something in the router config to set an "inactivity
timeout" value or somesuch.

Have a trawl through the setup dialogue - and set this to a very
high value, or look for a "never drop the connection" box or
something similar. I'm not familiar with this particular router, but
they all have something like this.

This setting exists on all Netgear routers and should be set to zero
for no inactivity timeout.

My 3Com router is the same - but this didn't seem to work when set to zero.
I found that if I set the timeout to a *long* time (like a number of days)
and also set "dial on demand" ON, it worked more reliably. Now, if the
connection *does* drop for any reason, it automatically re-connects.
--
Cheers,
Tim